Thread: Resaw Fence - Shop Fox D3574 on Grizzly G0513?

Resaw Fence - Shop Fox D3574 on Grizzly G0513?

The photos I see online appear to be identical, but I have made that mistake before so I thought I would see whether anyone has experience with these two working together. I found the Shop Fox resaw fence for a good price online which looks to be the same as the one offered by Grizzly (H7585) for the 17" G0513 Anniversary bandsaw I have. I don't see any particular measurements but they look to be identical... The last thing I want to do is shell out for this and then have it turn into a project to retrofit-- I'd rather suck it up and just make one in that case.

Thanks!

Saw this review on Amazon. Looks to be a perfect fit.

What a buy IMHO for under a $100.00 you can add this fence to a 17" grizzly bansaw. I have the 17" anniversary saw. When you take the original fence off the new one bolts right on. Keep the spacers from the old fence .
    on the side that slides I put one 5/16 nut and the spacer and the old socket head screw fits perfect. I could not wait to make a spacer but will. This fence works perfect.

Aha, as usual the answer was right in front of me and I looked elsewhere, ha. Thanks!

Tall fences attached to most stock fences are easily deflected at the top from even fairly small lateral loads, which results in uneven thickness of the resawn board top to bottom. That certainly is true for the fence on my G0636X. So I built a robust tall fence and just use the stock fence to add in positioning it. The key is the fence is wide and it is clamped directly to the table. This prevents it from tipping at the top when under side load.

I can now saw veneer with essentially no variation in thickness top to bottom.

John

Take a look at the Kreg bandsaw fence also. I have it and like it, but don't know if it's any better/worse than the Shop Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Tall fences attached to most stock fences are easily deflected at the top from even fairly small lateral loads, which results in uneven thickness of the resawn board top to bottom. That certainly is true for the fence on my G0636X. So I built a robust tall fence and just use the stock fence to add in positioning it. The key is the fence is wide and it is clamped directly to the table. This prevents it from tipping at the top when under side load.

I can now saw veneer with essentially no variation in thickness top to bottom.

John
    So your suggestion is to build one, which was my plan... Perhaps I'm just in a mood recently, but I have several projects I am eager to get working on (which involve resawing), and I've been building stuff to make stuff for the shop for a while (bench, out feed table, auxiliary fence for table saw, etc.). As a hobbyist my time is limited so I thought I would splurge on this to get going (impatient, I know). Based on your explanation it sounds as if nothing I buy will be as reliable to make good resaw cuts as building one myself... I'm willing to come to terms with that... Thanks for pointing out the limitations of these store-bought options. Any recommendations for a source of a solid plan for one??

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Grucela View Post
    So your suggestion is to build one, which was my plan... Perhaps I'm just in a mood recently, but I have several projects I am eager to get working on (which involve resawing), and I've been building stuff to make stuff for the shop for a while (bench, out feed table, auxiliary fence for table saw, etc.). As a hobbyist my time is limited so I thought I would splurge on this to get going (impatient, I know). Based on your explanation it sounds as if nothing I buy will be as reliable to make good resaw cuts as building one myself... I'm willing to come to terms with that... Thanks for pointing out the limitations of these store-bought options. Any recommendations for a source of a solid plan for one??
    Seriously, you don't need much of a plan. I made the one you see in the photo from scraps of MDF I had in about an hour. It's just screwed together in case I needed to modify it. The only thing I did that was sort of special was to make the fence "stepped" so that I could lower the upper blade guides down for resawing narrower stock. The lower, back portion is about 7" and the taller, front portion is about 12 or 13". If I ever want to cut veneer that's 15" or so wide I'll just screw a wider piece of MDF to the face. The point is, make it to fit your needs.

I found clamping it at the front is sufficient to resist tipping, but there is no reason you couldn't add another clamp at the back if desired. Note, also, that I removed the tall fence from Grizzly and clamped my new fence directly to the low, cast iron fence. That allows the whole unit to slide left/right and keeps it parallel with the miter slot. Once in position, I lock down the stock fence then clamp the tall fence to the table.

Get after it! You'll have one made in an hour for the grand sum of maybe $5.

John