Thread: Disston Handsaws and Bluegrass Hammers

Blog Entries

Disston Handsaws and Bluegrass Hammers

I was in the shop on this warm sunny day in Galveston County, Texas cleaning hand saws and and hammers.
    You may recall Hurricane Harvey paid us a visit last year.

My tools went through the flood. They were not sumerged, but did see a lot of moisture. Rust was breaking out.
    Wire wheels, steel wool and pad sanders do a good job of rust removal. I follow up with a coating of Johnson's floor wax.

You may recall from previous posts, I have a collection of Bluegrass hammers and Disston hand saws. I favor a good wood handled hammer and
    Disston saws are special. I have 8, 10, 12 and 16 ounce hammers. I have seven Disston saws. They are 8, 10, and 12 tpi saws. rip and cross cut.

I sharpen and set the saws. If you have not done this, I suggest you make or buy a saw vise, and buy a saw set and saw files.
    If you can't find a saw set, watch Paul Sellers do it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...85&action=view

Thanks for the link and info lowell. I am just starting rehab on all my old saws and always value good information. Do you feel it is worth it getting a set if pauls technique works? I am only a hobby person so i am only working on my few saws and they dont get as much use as i am sure most do, but i am particular i must admit and i like to do things right but also know how to do it in a pinch. After reading this it may not make sense, sorry but maybe you can tell what i am trying to say.

Blog Entries
    I think you would enjoy having a saw set. You can buy one for about $20.
    I learned to do it both ways,

As a side light to this conversation, I learned to do hand tool woodworking from Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas about twenty years ago.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...=em_nocache_cr