Thread: Making a burnisher

Making a burnisher

My Question is, would this carbide drill blank be suitable for making a burnisher?

The commercial burnishers I have seen use a highly polished carbide rod ,would this rod function in the same way

regards Brian

Tungsten Carbide Drill Blank Dowel, 7.9mm diameter 74mm long

I would think the polished rod would leave a slightly smoother burr, but the drill rod shown will raise a burr. At the price shown, it would be worth a shot. Personally, I don't use a burnisher, and think the burr from the grinding stone is good enough.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I gave a solid carbide laminate trim bit to a friend ,for use as a burnisher. He said it worked well and was made better by being polished with diamond compound. What you have is probably same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    My Question is, would this carbide drill blank be suitable for making a burnisher?

The commercial burnishers I have seen use a highly polished carbide rod ,would this rod function in the same way
    Just curious, are you using this with "traditional" scrapers, negative rake scrapers, or card/hand scrapers (or all three like I do)?

I've made several and I far prefer a polished rod since any roughness might transfer to the edge and seems like it would be harder to control the pressure. A carbide end mill or router bit mounted upside down in a handle would work. Even a drill bit would work. This one uses a polished carbide rod:

burnisher_IMG_6767.jpg

I use another polished carbide but it is a bigger diameter. I like the small diameter better.

As for the burr I find the grinder burr works but a burnished burr works cuts smoother and lasts a lot longer.

JKJ

Hmm... I suppose you could just use the shank of a decent "Cobalt" drill bit.. Most of those are pretty hard HSS.... And most are already polished...

The thing with that tungsten carbide rod... If it's already hardened and polished - it's probably fine.. But if it's not - yikes.... No thanks... Hand polishing carbide is not my idea of fun...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 03-20-2018 at 10:58 PM.

The first one I made was from a tiny carbide drill bit, less than 1/8 inch diameter. It worked fine. An old router bit might be better...

robo hippy

I’ve been using an extra fine ceramic slip stone to pull a burr on all my scrapers for 4 years or so - I got it from John Jordan (the other one) when I bought his excellent shear scraper. It works very well and the rounded side pulls a nice burr for scraping. After about 4 burnishes I use the flat side to remove the burr and pull a fresh edge before needing to go to the grinder.
    Before getting the slip stone, I just used the side of an old D-Way 3/8” gouge too short to sharpen to pull a burr. works very well, too. I still use it when I’ve laid my slip stone where it doesn’t belong...
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 03-21-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I’ve been using an extra fine ceramic slip stone to pull a burr on all my scrapers for 4 years or so - I got it from John Jordan (the other one) when I bought his excellent shear scraper. It works very well and the rounded side pulls a nice burr for scraping. After about 4 burnishes I use the flat side to remove the burr and pull a fresh edge before needing to go to the grinder...
    I should say I do that too, sometimes, using the same slip stone from the same John. (I use his shear scraper too.) What I found is the slip stone easily gives me a fine burr for extremely fine shavings. The burnished burr can be heavier depending on the force I use. I've been using the ceramic stone more on my other scrapers too as well as the insides of 3/8" and larger spindle gouges. I use only the burnisher on the hand/card scrapers I use at the lathe.

Very nice little stone, recommended. But what's that little groove down the middle of the curved section for, fishhooks or something? I'll ask JJ next time I see him.

JKJ

I also use a laminate trim bit and it works very well.
    RD