Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breadboard end attached and forgot to elongate holes in tenons

Breadboard end attached and forgot to elongate holes in tenons

Hi All,

I'm building a dining table.

48" wide
    Quartersawn Oak (top is just under 1" thick)
    Dry I think
    Now in garage, temp 66, humidity 30
    We're in Wisconsin, kitchen summer probably around 75 degrees and 55 humidity?

Yesterday I attached one of the breadboard ends and forgot to elongate the dowel holes through the tenons. (I used 3/8" oak dowel pins, 5 of them). Also, my breadboard is non-standard. It is really a skirt and breadboard in one (so it is 1.25" horizontal x 5.25" high (thick if you will)). I can try to send/post pictures if needed -- this is my first post so please forgive any errors/omissions/style faux pas I might be making.

It would be a lot of work to cut the breadboard end off and re-do, and, I'm already a couple inches shorter than wife wants table in the first place.

Am I crazy to leave it as is and "give it a try"?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any advice!

Joe

Since the top is quartersawn, it might not be a problem. Quartersawn oak doesn't expand and contract much across its width.

Can you get the pins out and remove the breadboard end without cutting it off? Maybe drill them out? If not, you could leave it and see what happens. The worst is that you'd have to remake the top

Joe, couldn't you cut it off at the end of the planks, re-dado or re-mortice the end, and make another end piece ?

I think you are headed for trouble The top is going to want to expand (QS oak is still going to expand 1/4" or more over 48") but won't be able to so something is going to give, buckle, etc. I would drill or route out those dowels so you can remove the breadboard end and fix the problem before it really becomes one.

John

No, unfortunately I did glue the center 6" or so) so I don't think I can surgically remove.....at this point that sounds so easy/minor.

To be safe I think I'll have to.....just that I've already undersized the table (length) slightly w/respect to my wife's seating desires.....

Not to discourage other responders.......but wanted to say THANKS so much guys for the fast and thoughtful replies so far -- wonderful!

If you can cleanly cut it off then reattach it with a stopped spline instead of tennoning the top all you’d lose is the saw kerf.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

You could remove the skirt/breadboard with a router and just set a straight edge on the table top and use a mortising bit and waste away the applied breadboard/skirt until it falls off or is able to be popped free with a chisel.

Dave is correct that QS is much more stable. The real issue your worried about is the 55% in the summer, and then if you dont run massive humidification in the winter you could swing down close to single digits in the winter. QS or not your hard work wouldnt hold up to that especially if you "think" the material is dry.

I agree with Mark. Route off the breadboard and make a new one. It is easy to spend more time worrying than it takes to fix a problem.

Just think of how much extra work will be required if you wait for failure, not excluding moving a large, heavy table back to your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dada View Post
    ...just that I've already undersized the table (length) slightly w/respect to my wife's seating desires.....
    Well, how about making your new end pieces wider to extend the length of the table to where your wife wants ? L- or T-shaped end pieces could attach under the table for stability.

I would drill out the dowels then cut the glued portion off with a coping saw or skill saw. Use the next size up dowels or even square pegs. For the glued section use biscuits. Here is your chance to do inlay with contasting wood species to clean up the cut lines. walnut and ebony come to mind.
    Greene & Greene breadboard ends look like an good starting point for you?
    Bill D

http://www.mmwoodshop.com/tables/blacker-inspired.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-20-2018 at 5:42 PM.

Just a data point. I just finished a top in mahogany with breadboard ends. Breadboards were smooth to the edge of the long boards when I moved it in from my unheated shop. After a few weeks in the heated house, the long boards have drawn in about a 1/4" from the breadboard ends (1/8" on each face, front and back). My top is only 2 feet wide and about 50" long. Yet, you see many a top with no breadboards that stay pretty flat. I made my daughter a hope chest from QS oak. Top is 2 feet wide. No breadboards. Just stiffening stretchers on inside. She's had it about 2 years now and no issues. Of course, 48" wide is a whole nother matter.

I would look at drilling out the dowels, then, from the bottom side, use a router to make a relief hole, lets say 1/2 inch dia just deep enough to get to the crossgrain boards. Then, make your elongated holes, from the bottom. After that make some plugs to fit into the routed holes on the bottom breadboard. Then, drill your dowel holes from the top and install your dowels. Its a bit of work but would give you a clean top side and the elongated dowel holes you need

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I would look at drilling out the dowels, then, from the bottom side, use a router to make a relief hole, lets say 1/2 inch dia just deep enough to get to the crossgrain boards. Then, make your elongated holes, from the bottom. After that make some plugs to fit into the routed holes on the bottom breadboard. Then, drill your dowel holes from the top and install your dowels. Its a bit of work but would give you a clean top side and the elongated dowel holes you need

THIS is a great solution!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...