Thread: Planing perfect dados

Planing perfect dados

I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...ane-dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Visited the website. A very thorough demonstration.

Good tutorial Derek. I use a 45 for dados. I usually use a block to back up the cut. Depending on how the wood is working I will saw cut the back and knife the lines always. Knifing is great insurance when doing dados.
    Jim

Very helpful, especially the info re the knicker adjustment and tweaks.

Many thanks as always, Derek. I held off on buying the LV small plow for a while waiting the new combo plane because of the allure of having dado capacity. Based on my preliminary fiddling, the tips on tuning and adjusting the nickers will be especially helpful once I find some time to get serious.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks Derek, I'd almost forgotten I had one. Yes the nicker screws are pointless. Starting it very slowly is a good idea. I will read your series with interest before I drag mine out again.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks Derek!

Thanks, Derek! I've had my eye on an HNT Gordon dado plane for several years. Never have pulled the trigger, mostly because of the >$300USD price. The LN combo plane changes the equation a bit. Since I already have a wide variety of irons for it (I have a small plough), I could get a "Swiss Army" plane that could do a lot more than dado for $100USD more. Hmmmmmm.

Anyone want to buy a well-loved LN Small Plough Plane?

TedP

Ted, one question for me was "what is the difference between the dedicated HNT Gordon dado plane and the Veritas Combination plane in dado livery?", and the answer is "about 120 seconds" of set up time. If one has the cash to spend on the dedicated plane, I'd say do it. It's less effort. But if you want fewer tools that do more, then this combination plane is looking good as the performance is the same.

Regards from Perth

Derek