Thread: Table Saw Extension Support Bracing

Table Saw Extension Support Bracing

Still checking out that Delta Table Saw from Lowes for $599. It sure looks nice , and would fit nicely in my Basement Workshop. BUT!!! My concern is those Stamped Steel Extensions. Is there a way to install some sort of support bracing to stabilize the extensions , in case a heavy 4x4 were dropped on it ?

Blog Entries
    It appears that the wings bolt to the fence rails like cast iron ones do. Beyond that you could make your own out of hardwood framed MDF but, I don't know that there would be a lot of gain. The shop made extension on this old contractor saw gave service for many years with just a coat of shellac and a wax job.

Fence Extn 1.jpg

Best bet would be to not drop heavy stuff on your saw ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

On a whim, I reviewed the owner's manual for the Delta 36-725 as I was curious about aligning the blade to the miter gauge slots.
    See; https://www.manualslib.com/manual/76...ta-36-725.html

In the alignment section of the manual, p. 28- 30, there are instructions how to align the riving knife, rip fence, and the miter stops. But nothing on how to align or checking the alignment of the blade to the miter gauge slots. I did not see how to check or do this alignment in any other section in the manual.

Now I could have missed or over looked it, but before buying this saw, I would make sure that the blade can be aligned to the miter gauge slots.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 03-20-2018 at 2:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Its a magic saw. The blade is auto-magically parallel to the miter slot ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Its a magic saw. The blade is auto-magically parallel to the miter slot ;-)
    Man, I need me one of those!

Ray, as a contractor saw, if the manual doesn't list how to do it, it probably means it's very hard to adjust. They (Delta) would have you believe that it's adjusted at the factory and you shouldn't worry about it.

What brand overhead dust collector is that ? Looks like a nice one.

I have this saw.

First, yes you can adjust the blade to the mitre slot and it isn’t too tough. Loosen a bolt or two and give it a knock.

Second, if you can bend the wing tables you are doing something pretty brutal. Also, I have a Baltic birch router table that covers the entire right side and is bolted all around. To do that you do need to drill holes in the cross beam at the far right but that is easy.

Overall a pretty robust setup.