Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hofman not the dovetail machine maker but the jointer planer slot mortiser company.

Well, if it is what you want, you have to figure out what is necessary so it happen-compromise of some type.
    I will be a bit bummed though. I have already seen several Martin jointers, even tried one.
    Nice machine.
    But then I will have to keep looking for a Hofmann owner to go and check out their machine. Dang.

Even if you had an SLR, the simple fact is, it will not put a straight edge on lumber that hasn't been flattened over the jointer. So, you are right, you "need" a jointer, it would be "nice to have" an SLR, if you get to a point where you have the space.
    It will do "pretty straight" or "almost straight" , which is less than ideal.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 03-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Well that’s pretty funny Peter.

If my boss decides to buy a planer than I will probably go Hofman. This is largely contingent on package pricing.

On;y time will tell. I would also like to see a Hofman jointer to be quite honest. Even better before I potentially purchase one..

Sounds like they might be in Atlanta this year. If so I may just have to hold of and go take a look first?

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Well, if it is what you want, you can make it happen- I will be a bit bummed though. I have already seen several Martin jointers, even tried one.
    Nice machine.
    But then I will have to keep looking for a Hofmann owner to go and check out their machine. Dang.

I compared the SCM Invincible planer to the Martin when I was deciding. The SCM actually had a feature that Martin didn't; Pneumatic roller wheels. In Canada I work in both imperial and Metric all the time.. With Martin you press a button for 4 seconds and the machine switches to or from Metric. When I asked the process on the SCM, I never did get an answer..

In the end I bought a Martin T-45 with a helical head. With Variable speed its just under 3000 lbs. Its a beautiful machine, Quiet, solid, Vibration free and extremely nice fit and finish.

The deciding factors for me where #1 customer service. Martin is amazing. They are really knowledgeable and well trained. #2 Resale.. In our area, a used Martin machine is impossible to find and when available sells in hours.

The Martin was more money than the SCM .. but I was only buying one.. No regrets..

My boss actually priced the l invincible if for nothing else to see how everything stacks up. I think we were able to get a package deal of like 27k for both l invincible machines.

Call me crazy and maybe I am but I have zero interest in spending 27k on a whole shop of Scmi machines. That’s just me though, I know what I like, I know what I want and when or if I buy something I didn’t want I might as well have not bought anything as it pains me to even look at it and get zero enjoyment from it.

I just assume bust may bum have what I want if for no other reason but to avoid the disappointment I find In settling. Most everything in my life I approach from this perspective. Working hard or a zillion hours has never once upset me as I really really like working. This perspective or approach does not always work in my favor and at times works against me but it’s how I am and I have come to accept it. It can be my biggest asset and it be my biggest shortcoming. With regard to my work it has proven to be extremely valuable and has gotten me where I am and I’m very happy where I am so...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I compared the SCM Invincible planer to the Martin when I was deciding. The SCM actually had a feature that Martin didn't; Pneumatic roller wheels. In Canada I work in both imperial and Metric all the time.. With Martin you press a button for 4 seconds and the machine switches to or from Metric. When I asked the process on the SCM, I never did get an answer..

In the end I bought a Martin T-45 with a helical head. With Variable speed its just under 3000 lbs. Its a beautiful machine, Quiet, solid, Vibration free and extremely nice fit and finish.

The deciding factors for me where #1 customer service. Martin is amazing. They are really knowledgeable and well trained. #2 Resale.. In our area, a used Martin machine is impossible to find and when available sells in hours.

The Martin was more money than the SCM .. but I was only buying one.. No regrets..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-24-2018 at 11:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Patrick Walsh;2793992]Jeff

I live in natick just 20 min due west of Boston.

Natick, The Home of Champions!

Doug flutie baby...

You must be a former natick resident or current?

[QUOTE=Frank Drackman;2794248]
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Jeff

I live in natick just 20 min due west of Boston.

Natick, The Home of Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Joe,
    How much more does the graffiti-painted Martin slider cost?
    You must be having a blast at that show!
    Jeff, they sell them but not sure what the up charge is. They will do custom colors as well but I am sure it is costly.
    My favorite was this one a couple years ago.
    E86D2AB7-1B21-408E-80A5-A55C2319DFCC.jpg
    Hofmann faux finished one of their mortiser drills a few years ago.

E7543A59-AABE-4FA4-8618-7AB206046E5A.jpg

Mr Soukup’s son did some art work on the machines this year. If you look close the tool stack outline is in the art. Fun stuff!

B7EEFE09-83F3-4261-834B-D9FC145E24AA.jpg
    0516E8C5-0D83-45A5-899D-FD6DFA634874.jpg

NHS 1977. East Natick near Oak & Route 9. Have a kid named Casey!

Frank I was born 11/19/1977 I grew up on Plane St and now live over in the Walnut Hill neighborhood off North Ave.

That kid is he names after Casey’s by chance?

Where are you now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    NHS 1977. East Natick near Oak & Route 9. Have a kid named Casey!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Frank I was born 11/19/1977 I grew up on Plane St and now live over in the Walnut Hill neighborhood off North Ave.

That kid is he names after Casey’s by chance?

Where are you now?
    Yes, Casey is named after the diner.

I had lots of friends who grew up in your area, North ave, Sawin, etc. After many stops I live in Maine. Was at St. Pats a few weeks ago for a funeral. Going to a party at LaCantina in Framingham in a few weeks. One of our kids live on Washington ave. Wife's sister lived downtoan on Sheridan St.

IWF is a great place to see most of the bigger players in one place, and compare notes going back and forth. You might even run into Joe at the Martin booth.
    Martin does an excellent job of staffing their booth with knowledgable people, and can demo just about any operation.
    Some other companies, not so much. I walked away from one booth last time wondering why they bothered to cart their classical machine line down there if no one could talk to, or demonstrate to an interested party.

Peter,

If I don’t buy a machine prior to the show I will 100% go.

I’m told one can get great deal at and around the show and that most companies stock is low for months after the show.

I’m also told Martin does not really negotiate price. I can still hope Hofman will negotiate. If not it might not be worth the air fare. On the other hand I’m sure I will be like a kid in a candy store and if Hofman did go this year “ I’m told previous years they have not” then it might help mitigate my back and forth of one manufacturer to the other.

Facts are there is a good chance I buy the machine before the show.

As for staff lacking knowledge I’m not surprised. This is one of the reasons I’m so willing to pay a premium for a machine. After spending tens of thousands of dollars if something goes wrong I fully expect to be able to get someone on the phone. I also expect them to helpful vrs additional. I would also hope and expect part to be readily availible. This may be a tall order for any manufacturer those days but by the sounds of it this is exactly what Martin offers over it competitors?

I
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    IWF is a great place to see most of the bigger players in one place, and compare notes going back and forth. You might even run into Joe at the Martin booth.
    Martin does an excellent job of staffing their booth with knowledgable people, and can demo just about any operation.
    Some other companies, not so much. I walked away from one booth last time wondering why they bothered to cart their classical machine line down there if no one could talk to, or demonstrate to an interested party.

Have you ever called Martin? Last time I called looking for parts for a late 90s machine, they acted like they wanted to call me back collect.

SCM group is not much better.

Best phone support/customer service has been from Weinig, Northfield and the guy that bought Oakley.