Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hofman not the dovetail machine maker but the jointer planer slot mortiser company.

I'm guessing Fensterbau.
    I think Joe said Martin switched over to the modular style vs cast iron back in the late 70's or early 80's because the town Martin is in became a spa or resort town, and they couldn't have any of that nasty foundry work going on there too.
    I do like a planed table.
    Material slides so much more effortlessly over it.

Peter,

I got your pm, long day at work. Going to be many many more long days whe I buy this machine.

I normally make it out your way aonce or twice a year. Next time I am heading that way I will surely look you up. It’s kind of you to extend the offer and help as you can.

I really love it out your way. I’d do just about anything to be able to live out there and make a living as I can 20 minutes outside Boston. I have my reservations for how realistic that is both long and short term unless well connected.

Great pictures Joe.

The rep I am in touch with is at the same show it appears you are at. Man I would love to be there. Sadly to afford my machinery problem I have to work around the clock. Well not to bad only ten hours today.

That combo does look very nice indeed. I have a Felder combo and after problems with it at the time of purchase I promised never to buy a combo again. I know Felder and Hofman can not even be compared but my saying so much offers a point of reference as to why I want separate machines despite the beauty of the Hofman combo.

Man I just can’t decide Martin or Hofman. The pictures you just shared are pretty convincing. As for service I don’t really think in my area one will matter more than th other as servic techs for even Martin are not prevalent. Plenty of service techs just not Martin specific ones. Ideally a jointer will have no issues after delivery and enitial setup.

I’m told the setup on either the Martin or Hofman machine is plug it in and watch the purchaser smile.

Joe, Is there a Reinhard booth there? I've always wanted to see their sliding short stroke saw. Dave

I would be very worried about no local support. Also I suspect they are a very low volume supplier and I would have to wonder about long term survivability of the company

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I would be very worried about no local support. Also I suspect they are a very low volume supplier and I would have to wonder about long term survivability of the company
    So is Martin. I believe the produce 60 machines a year, maybe 70. That's not high volume either.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    So is Martin. I believe the produce 60 machines a year, maybe 70. That's not high volume either.
    Martin produces about 1200 machines per year and sells about 100 plus or minus in the US

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Joe, Is there a Reinhard booth there? I've always wanted to see their sliding short stroke saw. Dave
    I will look Dave, I think they are for the model making trade and have never noticed them at the trade shows.
    i am in the market for a small table- sliding saw and thinking of going with Mafell Erika

As for Martin vs Hofmann I don’t think you would go wrong with either. We are lucky to be able to get high quality standard joinery machines in this era of cost engineering and cutthroat competition.

Holz Handwerk is my favorite show with a lot of passion for the trade from both vendors and woodworker attendees. Same with shops we visit here. Most been in business for several generations with new blood coming in with fresh ideas. Great mixture of new technologies and old traditions.

Reinhard makes a small model type saw called the Precisaw but there is also a full sized saw with about a 40" stroke. Dave

PS. Joe, bring back a tenoning table for my T21 in your suitcase.

I looked in the show book Dave and no mention of their company.
    Saw a unusual fence on a old Martin shaper in one of the shops. Maybe a custom fence, new to me.
    5628A7BC-8390-4714-AC93-305A57E7BB07.jpg
    Common in most every shop large and small is a late model Weinig Moulder. They make one moulder per day and one Conturex per week. Not uncommon to see a Conturex in 3 to 4 person shops.
    9D2AD620-46D7-43DA-98A7-AFE824CF1665.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a pic of the Hofmann booth. The owner is the woman on the right side.
    DDFA87F4-F964-43BB-AC42-0526F48203DC.jpg
    And the Martin booth. Always a mob there.
    they serve beer and snacks. Some of the larger companies serve full lunches
    8BEC5443-110F-48DA-B030-54619679F308.jpg
    This is the Utis booth. A French company that makes cast iron frame standard machines.
    on display 800mm wide jointer,planer and a shaper
    B911F111-3997-4AFD-8728-7E421508D4CE.jpg
    A9C3163C-2681-4D9E-B40C-8692EA6715CA.jpg
    Planer with sectional steel infeed, 2 rubber outfeed and Tersa knives
    servo motors on shaper are AC instead of typical DC.
    603BF90E-CF79-453B-98C5-5D763A29B9B5.jpg

Joe,
    How much more does the graffiti-painted Martin slider cost?😁
    You must be having a blast at that show!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    on display 800mm wide jointer
    "How wide is your jointer?"

"Thirty one inches, no big deal....."

That hofmann shaper looks pretty nice.
    Actually, even though the Utis and Hofmann are cast iron machines, they seem to go out of their way to make them appear blocky and modular.
    I expect German machines to be "straightforward, no nonsense design" , but the French stuff I thought might have just a little design flair.
    In the end, if they cut wood, that's the important part.
    Always a great source of pics Joe.