Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hofman not the dovetail machine maker but the jointer planer slot mortiser company.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hofman not the dovetail machine maker but the jointer planer slot mortiser company.

I’m looking for the US distributor of Hofman machinery. I’m in the market for both a jointer and a shaper. From what I understand this guys are what Martin is no longer but was.

I also understand there is only one Us importer and distributor of Hofman. For the life of me I can’t figure out who.

Thank you much

My understanding is that no one distributes Hofmann in the US. Joe Calhoon is the guy who knows for sure. Hofmann may be slightly better or worse than Martin but you are really splitting hairs here. Lots of effort to import it vs Martin. Dave

I have been told by two people “both of whom I have lost contact with” that there is a us dealer of Hofman but that it’s a new thing in the last couple years.

More than one person has mentioned to me that the newer Martin shapers ands was are just not what they were in the past with regard to build quality. It seems people are saying the electronics are much ,ore advanced than say the early 2000 era machines and th new spindle system is great but overall the machines are not as substantial as the older ones.

I was talking with a gentleman this afternoon that is selling a Kolle slot mortiser and I made mention of having just got a quote on anew Martin t12mand t54. His response was I would not buy a new Martin machine. When I asked why he went into how they basically just are not built like they once were but that Hofman still makes a machine the way they were built 20 plus years ago.

When mentioning Martin to people whom have owned both old and new Martin machines they all say so much to some degree.

I would at least like the option to price the Hofman if I could. I understand it comes in a 24” width and that’s pretty attractive when mated with a 24’’ planer.

I interested in your option that Hofman may not be as nice as current Martin. I really know nothing of Hofman other than what others have told me. I have at least put my hands on a handful of Martin machines.

I may have something kicking around with a contact number. I like my 70's Martin machines, all their new electronic gizmos worry me.

I would appreciate that Darcy.

All the electronic stuff scares me also. I’m a cabinet maker and not one with a fleet of guys making stuff for me. I’m one of the guys to be perfectly honest.

I really I would be able to get a machine with only digital readout of the spindle and manual every thing else. I’m not gonna get that from Martin these days but It was suggested to me I might get it from Hofman.

The art in jointer I’m not so worried about the electronics as they are pretty minor.

Let us know what you find out. Steve knows his stuff and my experience with all brands of machinery is that every redesign lightens the build. The machines become more user friendly with better ergonomics but lighter. Shapers in particular get lighter quills, bearings and structure. Good luck. Dave

I'm pretty sure it's LIMZ Machinery here in NYC. http://www.limzmachinery.com/contact.html

Could always try and import what you need from Germany if that doesn't pan out. I know Bort & Heckert are a Hofmann dealer. PM me if you need a contact person.

Might be considerably less expensive.

Hofmann is listed on the Limz site. Link goes to the company website but looks like Limz is the dealer. Dave

There is a distributor in the USA .. special order.. Email Hofmann and they will get back to you .. I obviously erased the email ..

I have 2 Martin Machines that are newer and they are the two nicest machines in my shop.

As I remember it, there was also a French company still making some extraordinarily nice and fairly straightforward classical machinery, very similar to older Martin, Kölle, Bäuerle.

Chambon? Name escapes me at the moment.

CC9D7888-7AC7-49D7-8D44-1C9C4F88A606.jpg
    Looked at a couple Hofmann vintage shapers yesterday.

0C287FDC-97E2-4D87-BC41-63ED061B1BB3.jpg
    638BE23A-2FE6-4EDC-B578-12EDDECDDD86.jpg
    1950s Martins bought new by the Grandfather of this shop owner. Best vintage machine so far is Okoma tenoner in mint condition.
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 03-20-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Hofmann is still a cast iron machine from my understanding talking with Joe. Build quality is supposed to be every bit as good as Martin.
    I have owned old and new Martin. The electronics can speed things up, but they can also be glitchy, and all the built in safety "features" can really slow down working speed.
    Punching in a dimension for the fence on a slider, then waiting for it to adjust is annoyingly slow.
    I have spoken with Laurence from Limz, very nice and approachable guy.

I enjoyed restoring my vintage Martin shaper but no comparison to functionality, accuracy and repeatability of my 2003 T26. The old Martin jointer was nice but hard to beat the ball bearing fence and one hand tilt function on the newer ones.
    Hofmann is nice. Outstanding is their jointer - planer that can function in both modes without moving the tables. The other is their shaper that tilts to 90. Panhans and Vertongen had similar but not cast construction. Martin composite construction is as vibration free as Hofmann cast.
    Here is a 1990s J-P. Fence is lacking but new Hofmann’s have a fence similar to Martin’s
    3AE3B3E0-9A21-4DAE-B575-CE5975ABEBAB.jpg
    B3961BCB-8E9F-4F93-8F3D-2B179D61C11C.jpg
    Only have my phone so tough to post

Thank you everyone for the insite. My boss was able to get in touch with the Hofman distributor today. We got some off the cuff pricing being he was boarding a plane as he answered the call.

I’m pretty sold on the Hofman 20” jointer. Only problem is fitting the machine In our freight elevator as we are on the third floor of a old mill building.

I can get a 20” machine in on the diagonal up to 128”. That would allow me to go with the 20” Hofman with the 150mm infeed and outfeed table. Sadly the extended 2000mm infeed table and standard 1500mm outfeed table will not fit.

That being said I’m leaning hard towards the Martin with the extended length infeed table at 78” and the standard 42” outfeed table.

I would love nothing more than either machine with the extended infeed and outfeed tables but I just can’t make it work.

My choice towards the Martin is based on feeling the longer infeed table will ultimately be of the most use to me.

Who knows though I could very well just end up with the 20: Hofman with 1500mm infeed and outfeed tables.

Anywho, if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject please feel free to share.