Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G0800 Bed Extension

I went to the Grizzly website and there seems to be no provision to use their tailstock on the bed extension in the lower position.

I also noted that it says the outboard side (backside spindle) has RH thread on it, seems wrong to me, as the hand wheel would come off, unless there is a grubs screw provision, and how about turning bowls on the lowered extension ??

1” toolrest post seems skinny for a large lathe like that ??
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-21-2018 at 12:11 AM. Reason: clarifying the "outboard” wording
    Have fun and take care

2. Leo, the spindle is standard 1.25"x 8tpi, and the only "outboard" is the sliding of the headstock to the end of the ways. The cone shaped nose on the spindle casting adds a few inches and if you put the chuck or faceplate on, then the headstock can be even further away from the end of the bed, giving more room for the tailstock, if someone desires to use one. If a good hold is had with the faceplate [which has two set screws in it for securing it to the spindle] or a good quality chuck and jaws set, then I think one can safely turn without the tailstock. support.

That being said, I like using tailstock support whenever I can. The quill extends out 5.50 inches fully extended on this model, and it has a bigger diameter than the PM 3520b. The 1" standard steel post on the tool rest seems fairly standard now-a-days for large lathes,[ including the Oneway 2436] on the market, and on my G0766 22/42 lathe, I have not had any issues with toolrest vibration, so I think this is going to be fine.

The banjo on this G0800 is really heavy, as is the tailstock. Lots of beef in the castings. The banjo is much heavier than the outboard Oneway banjo I have for my G0766, which is long enough to allow for 28" diameter turning, if one has a lathe that has that much swing.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-20-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Leo, the spindle is standard 1.25"x 8tpi, and the only "outboard" is the sliding of the headstock to the end of the ways. The cone shaped nose on the spindle casting adds a few inches and if you put the chuck or faceplate on, then the headstock can be even further away from the end of the bed, giving more room for the tailstock, if someone desires to use one. If a good hold is had with the faceplate [which has two set screws in it for securing it to the spindle] or a good quality chuck and jaws set, then I think one can safely turn without the tailstock. support.

That being said, I like using tailstock support whenever I can. The quill extends out 5.50 inches fully extended on this model, and it has a bigger diameter than the PM 3520b. The 1" standard steel post on the tool rest seems fairly standard now-a-days for large lathes,[ including the Oneway 2436] on the market, and on my G0766 22/42 lathe, I have not had any issues with toolrest vibration, so I think this is going to be fine.

The banjo on this G0800 is really heavy, as is the tailstock. Lots of beef in the castings. The banjo is much heavier than the outboard Oneway banjo I have for my G0766, which is long enough to allow for 28" diameter turning, if one has a lathe that has that much swing.
    Outboard was a bad choice of words Roger, I should have said the backside spindle has RH thread according the website info, also I am used to a much heavier toolrest post, and 1” seems pretty thin to me, just IMO.

It is impossible to use the tailstock without a riser under the tailstock, as to use it on the lathe with the extension placed lower than the bed ( to be able to turn larger pieces)
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-21-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Have fun and take care

4. Leo, if you look at the pic in the original post, there is a riser for the toolrest. I have Robust rests, that have 1” steel posts. The Robust American Beauty lathe utilizes 1” steel posts for the rests. The Serious SL2542 uses 1” posts. The Oneway 2436 uses 1” posts..... the Powematic 2442 uses a 1” post, and of course this Grizzly 0800. That backside spindle does not exist to turn with. The left side of the headstock has a handwheel not threaded spindle for turning. It does have 3 very large premium sealed bearings on the spindle.

I’m not sure why you find a 1” post flimsy when all these flagship lathes use them? Maybe those engineers who designed those lathes for all those companies actually knew what they were doing?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-21-2018 at 8:04 AM.

Nice clear explanation, Roger. As Brent English says, most 16-25" lathes come with a 1" tool post. Three of my lathes do.

I'm not familiar with any lathes with sliding headstocks that are threaded for turning from the left (back) side of the headstock since it can be moved to the end of the bed or even turned around easily. Many of today's lathe designs have the motor extending to the left which would be in the way, as evident in the photo. This puts the motor shaft very close to the spindle shaft for several engineering advantages.
    lathe_headstock_G0800.jpg

Leo, if you look at the pic in the original post, there is a riser for the toolrest. I have Robust rests, that have 1” steel posts. The Robust American Beauty lathe utilizes 1” steel posts for the rests. The Serious SL2542 uses 1” posts. The Oneway 2436 uses 1” posts..... the Powematic 2442 uses a 1” post, and of course this Grizzly 0800. That backside spindle does not exist to turn with. The left side of the headstock has a handwheel not threaded spindle for turning. It does have 3 very large premium sealed bearings on the spindle.

I’m not sure why you find a 1” post flimsy when all these flagship lathes use them? Maybe those engineers who designed those lathes for all those companies actually knew what they were doing?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice clear explanation, Roger. As Brent English says, most 16-25" lathes come with a 1" tool post. Three of my lathes do.

I'm not familiar with any lathes with sliding headstocks that are threaded for turning from the left (back) side of the headstock since it can be moved to the end of the bed or even turned around easily. Many of today's lathe designs have the motor extending to the left which would be in the way, as evident in the photo. This puts the motor shaft very close to the spindle shaft for several engineering advantages.
    lathe_headstock_G0800.jpg
    One caveat John...unless one is as strong as the "Hulk" then it will take two people to turn that headstock around on this lathe! That thing is HEAVY!

Leo, if you look at the pic in the original post, there is a riser for the toolrest. I have Robust rests, that have 1” steel posts. The Robust American Beauty lathe utilizes 1” steel posts for the rests. The Serious SL2542 uses 1” posts. The Oneway 2436 uses 1” posts..... the Powematic 2442 uses a 1” post, and of course this Grizzly 0800. That backside spindle does not exist to turn with. The left side of the headstock has a handwheel not threaded spindle for turning. It does have 3 very large premium sealed bearings on the spindle.

Roger, I should have said the backside spindle has RH thread according to the website info, also I am used to a much heavier toolrest post, and 1” seems pretty thin to me, just IMO.

It is impossible to use the tailstock without a riser under the tailstock, as to use it on the lathe with the extension placed lower than the bed ( to be able to turn larger pieces)

Maybe I’m out to lunch Roger, I made the toolrest post much thicker on my large lathe, so we leave it be.

The other thing I referred to was the outboard spindle being threaded RH, look at the picture of the info, red lines under it, the hand wheel is on there and it would unscrew if you would slow the lathe down with the hand wheel as is often done.

lathe.jpg

Yes I saw the riser on the banjo for the toolrest, I was not talking about that, I was saying that there seems to be no riser for under the Tailstock, so that it could be used with the lowered extension.

As with the larger sizes that can be turned there, a tailstock would be wanted by most turners I would think.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have this lathe and ext. it is 20" long it comes with the rizer for your tool rest

I keep mine in the lower position as pictured great for turning bowls makes it easier on my back standing it front of the work.

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it .
    Can you use the tailstock Ted with the lowered extension ??, as do you have a riser for it ??
    Have fun and take care

Leo, there is no need for a riser underneath the tailstock. The riser for the toolrest puts the rest where it needs to be on the extension in relation to the spindle.

I know where the confusion is at...Grizzly sometimes uses "cut & paste" when making manuals and spec sheets. If they make an improvement on a unit, such as the most recent one with the G0766, where they change a spec, they don't always print a new manual or spec sheet, and sometimes they cut & paste and things end up in flux for a period of time till someone points it out to them!

There is no outboard spindle for the G0800 this thread is about, and they must be using the slide the tailstock to the end as the outboard; and I am guessing that the comparison charts had as blank space that some computer template mandated something be put there, so they repeated the inboard dimensions......I've seen it happen before!

We're good, no arguments.... I meant none and I'm sure you didn't either. I respect your experience in this turning arena, and appreciate all the good information you bring to the forum!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.

I am kind of with Leo on this - I use the tailstock as much as possible. The Laguna bed extension includes the extension, a riser block for the tailstock, and an extension for the toolrest that fits in the banjo. Perhaps the Grizzly provides these items, as well, but I am not getting that from the posts in this thread.

Is there a riser for the tailstock such that it can be used to support a turning when the headstock is moved to the far end of the lathe and the bed extension is being used for the toolrest?

Left click my name for homepage link.

Roger I think you don’t get what I was asking, see the picture here, it is what Oneway makes if you would want to use the inboard tailstock on the outboard setup, and I don’t see one for the G0900.

there is one for the 16” and also for the 24” lathes
    Tailstock riser.jpg Oneway 16%22 lathe riser block.jpg

Oh BTW the large banjo has 11/2” toolrest posts

Oneway 1 ½%22 toolrest post.jpg
    Have fun and take care

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Is there a riser for the tailstock such that it can be used to support a turning when the headstock is moved to the far end of the lathe and the bed extension is being used for the toolrest?
    John [and Leo] I don't see a tailstock riser for this in Grizzly's catalog or on their website. That being said, I wonder if anyone could tell me what the gap in the bed ways of the Laguna Revo 2436 happens to be? If it is the same gap as on the G0800, and if I feel like I need the riser, I could certainly order from Laguna. I might have to put a bug in the tech dept.'s ear about this. Reversing a very large bowl could certainly use tailstock support. I could also use my vacuum chuck for this.......both you guys have got me thinking now!

I will say this...that due to the heavy castings and 3 large premium sealed bearings in the Grizzly's headstock, my own personal preference is still the G0800 over the Revo 2436, and the bed extension is a bit beefier as well. I looked inside the headstock at the bearing that shows, and that thing looks as big[er] as a baseball in size, and has rubberized seals that are thick, and is not just some sticker type seal, like I have seen on some bearings, as it actually is machined to sit inside the outer races.

Anyone know what the gap in the Revo 2436 bed is? The Grizzly 0800 is 2.5 inches.

Leo...we were both making our posts at the same time, and when I posted, your latest was there....I get what you are saying, and you are correct in the riser issue for the tailstock. The way the 0800 is now pretty much makes it turning without tailstock support.

Regarding the posts...I checked the Oneway specs for the 2436, and standard is 1", as is the Robust American Beauty. I have heard of no issues with those or several other large lathes that use the 1" toolrest post. Now, the banjo neck where the post hole is......on the G0800 it is really beefy, and has a lot of steel around the post itself.

I really do not forsee any issues with the toolrests......I have done 100 lb. blanks on my G0766 22/42 lathe with the 1" toolrests posts [I have 6 Robust rests] without any problems.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-21-2018 at 5:35 PM.

Roger, even if the gap in the ways is the same, I would be interested in knowing that the spindle height was exactly the same even though both are 24” lathes. Even a very slight difference would be a problem.

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, even if the gap in the ways is the same, I would be interested in knowing that the spindle height was exactly the same even though both are 24” lathes. Even a very slight difference would be a problem.
    Correct, John. It also occurred to me that I have several machine shops nearby to my location. If I am of a mind, I might just have a riser machined to my specifications. I probably could have one done for $150 or thereabouts I think. I wonder if an aluminum riser block might be sufficient, or perhaps square tube steel stock with a plate welded on the bottom....that would reduce the weight on the bed extension.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-21-2018 at 6:17 PM.

If the ways gap is the same, it might be worth starting with the Laguna and either milling smidge off or adding a smidge with a shim somehow. But, the steel ways on the Laguna may not be the same thickness. Lot of possible variables.