Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G0800 Bed Extension

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Just for what it is worth the gap in the ways of the Laguna Revo 1836 is 1.963” or 50mm. The ways are 10.95mm thick, or .431”. The tailstock riser is 7” tall. I suspect, but don’t know, that all those measurements except the height are the same for the Laguna 2436.
    [snip]
    John, interesting. Sure worth measuring width and length of the footprint and top surface of your riser. Roger can then take measurements on his G0800 and report whether it would work without modification on his bed extension, if the 7" height is sufficient.

Far as I can tell, Laguna doesn't offer the 20" bed extension for its Revo 24-36. But since both it and the G0800 (and the very similar Harvey T60, another 24 x 48" monster) are reportedly made by Harvey Industries, Harvey may already have the casting mold at it's foundry. For that matter, maybe the riser could be ordered separately through Laguna.

For my part, I'm still a bit skeptical about how much is really gained by using the tailstock on a 20" bed extension in the lower position.

David, I took a look at the Harvey T60 and T50 listings on Google, and did not see a riser block for the tailstock in any of the different vendors websites, but did see the same bed extension. Others seem to turn just fine without the tailstock riser, so I think perhaps using a recess hold turning the bowl/platter to finish on the outside, then doing the inside will be the order, but I am not one who likes to use a recess very much, just platters. I think a vacuum chuck on a very large piece might be iffy on the hold also.

One could start out on the inside of a bowl/platter with a faceplate, then finish the outside with the recess, and then reverse into a chuck, then turn away the inside and the screw holes left from the faceplate. Methods are valid, but not necessarily my personal preference, but anything over 24" is way huge anyway. A table top might be the biggest thing I will attempt anyway.

I will await the response from Grizzly. I will also figure out what I need to do to safely use the extension. I can certainly make a wood riser block and that might not be as convenient, as it would have to be bolted down on the extension, but it is certainly an option! Probably will have a metal one machined for me if Grizzly does not offer one.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-23-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

3. Got a call from the son of Shiraz Balolia on this matter, so see the other thread...”2 thumbs up ....”.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That was quick! Good going on the inquiry.

IMG_1632.jpgIMG_1632.jpgIMG_1633.jpgPictures of tailstock & banjo on ext. in lower setting with tape measure base of tailstock is 7" hope this is helpful to the discussion.
    Last edited by Ted Baxter; 03-23-2018 at 4:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    J

Far as I can tell, Laguna doesn't offer the 20" bed extension for its Revo 24-36. But since both it and the G0800 (and the very similar Harvey T60, another 24 x 48" monster) are reportedly made by Harvey Industries, Harvey may already have the casting mold at it's foundry. For that matter, maybe the riser could be ordered separately through Laguna.
    I wondered about this as well, until I got into discussion with the people who import these units into Australia, the answer is, all the accessories for the 18/36 chassis, fit the 24/36 chassis. I know this should be correct, but I'll await until I receive delivery of my Revo 24/36 in July/August later this year. If the 18/36 accessories don't fit my 24/36, life could start to get interesting for the Australian agent as I've ordered the 508mm (20") bed extension kit, which comprises the tail stock riser, among other things.

Meanwhile this is the Australian site for Laguna products and this is the combined 18/36 - 24/36 accessory page.
    https://www.gregmach.com/product/lag...e-accessories/

Mick.