Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G0800 Bed Extension

G0800 Bed Extension

I have had folks ask about the bed extension configuration and how its situated. This is a pic of the extension mounted on the end and lower than the bed which gives about 40" of capability off the end, or if mounted in line with the main bed can allow 65+ inches of distance between centers in case one wants to turn longer spindles such as bed posts or perhaps a 2 piece porch column, etc.

I am hoping to turn some accent tables with this configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-19-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow, 65" between centers, nice! I have a bed extension for the PM3520b mounted even with the ways. If I had too many extra dollars I'd consider buying another one for the other end of the lathe. Or maybe I can justify the cost the next time I need to make a shovel handle for the farm...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Wow, 65" between centers, nice! I have a bed extension for the PM3520b mounted even with the ways. If I had too many extra dollars I'd consider buying another one for the other end of the lathe. Or maybe I can justify the cost the next time I need to make a shovel handle for the farm...

JKJ
    The versatility in setup options is one of the things that made me take a second and third look at this particular lathe, John. This beast is really heavy duty....sort of like a super duty 350 vs. a small pickup like a Ranger. The ranger will get you there, but the super duty is built for the load!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-20-2018 at 3:23 PM. Reason: typo

Roger that sure is a remarkable looking machine. Just a couple questions, can the extension be installed even with the ways without removing the swing away, also what is the triangle shaped thingy on the left end of the ways? It looks like a place to mount something.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Roger that sure is a remarkable looking machine. Just a couple questions, can the extension be installed even with the ways without removing the swing away, also what is the triangle shaped thingy on the left end of the ways? It looks like a place to mount something.
    I’m not sure on that yet Fred, but wondered the same thing. I am going to check that out when my extension arrives. If the extension has the mounting holes for the hinge, then it will work, but if not, I could carefully drill and tap holes myself for that if I ever felt I wanted to do it.

That triangle is a mounting point for the extension, for some access to the rear of bowls, etc without having to reverse I suppose, but I don’t think I’m likely to use it that way....hard to teach an old dog new tricks sort of thing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    The versatility in setup options is one of the things that made me take a seond and third look at this particular lathe, John. This beast is really heavy duty....sort of like a super duty 350 vs. a small pickup like a Ranger. The ranger will get you there, but the super duty is built for the load!
    Looks like a hoss.

The PM extension also comes with a tool post riser. When mounted low, like your picture shows, it will supposedly allow turning a 38" blank. We have more platters than we need but I've never thought of turning a small table - . Good idea, that would combine platter turning, spindle turning, and perhaps some carving on the feet. Post photos when you make one!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    John, oh yeah! And don't forget manure fork and broom handles!

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    John, oh yeah! And don't forget manure fork and broom handles!
    That's the truth! I don't know if you saw this when I posted it before, but here are some examples of the fine art pieces I make with my lathe. I've probably saved $30 so far with the new shop, lathes, and tools. I'll bet my wife will be thrilled to hear that!

handle_shuffle_hoe_comp.jpg

shovel_handle.jpg

I keep dry dry hickory in the barn loft for when the inspiration hits me. You just never know when you're gonna wake up one day and suddenly need a new froe handle.

Froe_handle.jpg

JKJ

What about the tailstock ?? how long is the base and how tall, can it be used on the (outboard) setup ??, or do you have to turn without tailstock support.

Outboard was meant to be “with extension lowered"
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-21-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: explanation
    Have fun and take care

10. Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    What about the tailstock ?? how long is the base and how tall, can it be used on the outboard setup ??, or do you have to turn without tailstock support.
    20” length on the extension Leo. I would imagine there is enough room for tailstock on platter style turnings...may be bowls not too deep.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-20-2018 at 3:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    20” length on the extension Leo. I would imagine there is enough room for tailstock on platter style turnings...may be bowls not too deep.
    How long is the tailstock Roger and does it line up with the spindle ??
    Have fun and take care

I have this lathe and ext. it is 20" long it comes with the rizer for your tool rest

I keep mine in the lower position as pictured great for turning bowls makes it easier on my back standing it front of the work.

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it .

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have this lathe and ext. it is 20" long it comes with the rizer for your tool rest

I keep mine in the lower position as pictured great for turning bowls makes it easier on my back standing it front of the work.

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post

behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it .
    yes the tailstock can be used on the ext. however you can not attach the tailstock swingout on it unless you drilled and taped it.

I need to stop opening these threads. Now i am contemplating extending my G0766 6 month plan to save up for this one instead.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    I need to stop opening these threads. Now i am contemplating extending my G0766 6 month plan to save up for this one instead.
    Oh My! I apologize! Really, since I also have the G0766, I can tell you that unless you really want to turn off the end that the G0766 with its 22" swing and 3 hp motor will get the job done! I probably went on overkill with the G0800, but I had my own personal/individual reasons, and as far as most turnings go, I can just as easily get them done with the G0766.

Good luck with your decision!