Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know about fixing air compressors?

Sure, I'd take a chance for $25. The guy needs to realize that it's barely worth anything if it doesn't work.

I'd go for it at $25 or $50. If he took it to someone who would fix it for $50, I'd assume that means the needed part isn't very expensive, especially if you repair it yourself.

I've got this model and it's been smooth running, quiet, and reliable for me for about 5 years now. Kinda heavy compared the the cheap pancake ones, but I'd probably get the same one if I were doing it again.

The owner says that the compressor won't start. As soon as you try to start it, it overloads and trips the breaker. Any thoughts/ideas on what could be causing that? And are they easy and cheap to fix?

Could be a discharge valve is stuck shut, dead heading the compressor.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

At the PO's garage, the instant we tried to turn the compressor on it tripped the circuit. Any ideas about how to diagnose a problem like this?

Oh by the way, I brought it home with me. The thing looks brand new. He was the original owner. Says he used probably 3 times in the 5 years he had it until it stopped working.

"they could fix it for $50". They probably think that it is either the capacitor or the dump valve.

I think my first call would be to Makita. They might be able to at least point you in the right direction.

I would remove the outlet check valve and leave it disconnected then try to start the motor.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    At the PO's garage, the instant we tried to turn the compressor on it tripped the circuit. Any ideas about how to diagnose a problem like this?

Oh by the way, I brought it home with me. The thing looks brand new. He was the original owner. Says he used probably 3 times in the 5 years he had it until it stopped working.
    That to me points to the unloading valve. I had an inline unloading valve stick open after an extended period of no use. A tap 'fixed' the problem and it's been fine since.

To complete this thread, I bought the Makita compressor for $20. After a couple of failed attempts to troubleshoot it not starting (and tripping the circuit breaker), Makita suggested I take it to one of their factory service centers. The nearest one to me was in Dallas. A couple of weeks ago I went to visit my mom in Fort Worth and dropped it off to get it diagnosed (at no charge) in hopes it would be a $40 fix. The Makita tech called to let me know the electric motor was fried and would need to be replaced - $129 total cost. I asked for a day to think about it. I called the next morning and asked if there was any way he could do it cheaper. As expected, he said he couldn't. When I said I couldn't justify spending that much on it he said "hold on", paused for 10 seconds and then told me he would fix it as a warranty issue. They even shipped it back to me in Austin at no charge. I've never had to send any of my Makita hand tools for servicing but what a great first experience! Kudos to Makita!

PS I also learned that contrary to what the previous owner told me (5 years) the air compressor is less than two years old.

Oh, one last thing, do NOT run a Makita air compressor on an under-powered extension cord and never on a cord longer than 50'. FYI. This from the service tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Oh, one last thing, do NOT run a Makita air compressor on an under-powered extension cord and never on a cord longer than 50'. FYI. This from the service tech.
    Never run ANY motor that way. Simple as that. Low voltage is deadly. Current must rise as voltage goes down, causing more resistance, reducing voltage further, driving the current up, causing more resistance......

The length is not relevant as long as the wire gauge is correct. Remember that your house is on an "extension cord" that is many miles long.

Thanks for the update, Mike. Good on Makita.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Good on Makita.
    Actually this just shows us that the service center, which is usually an independent shop, is willing to lie and steal. They tried to get max cash from the end user first. When that failed they settled for the warranty repair credit by doing a repair they knew they should not do under warranty. They are liars and thieves, and I'd avoid that shop at all costs.

This is all no different from walking into a Makita warehouse and stealing a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Never run ANY motor that way. Simple as that. Low voltage is deadly. Current must rise as voltage goes down, causing more resistance, reducing voltage further, driving the current up, causing more resistance......

The length is not relevant as long as the wire gauge is correct. Remember that your house is on an "extension cord" that is many miles long.
    Thanks Carlos! I only use 12 gauge extension cords anymore.