Thread: Planer Question

Planer Question

There is a older PowerMatic Planer, I think it is a 15 inch model, that I may be able to get either really cheap or free. My question is there anyone that would make a Helical Head for this planner and how hard would it be to replace it if it can be replaced. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Byrd makes one for just a bit over $3k.

Wow I was not expecting that much. Thanks for the help though it is appreciated.

I thought a 15" was like under a Grand?

No ?

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Apparently the Rockler price is a bit higher...didn't look in detail on whether it's the exact same item.

Thanks guys. 700 dollars sounds a lot better than 3000. I knew a new planner was about that price. 700 would make the up grade worth while. Thanks for all the help. Now I just to finish talking my friend out of it.

Carlos, a little due diligence never hurt. $3000 will get a brand new 15” Powermatic planer with Byrd head from Rockler.

As suggested, the grizzly head would be a bit cheaper and likely have the same performance.