Thread: Doall 16" bandsaw for woodworking

Doall 16" bandsaw for woodworking

I am thinking about getting a bandsaw for wood and limited metal cutting. A used 16" Doall seems like a step up from my 14" Delta. The variable speed models go up to 5000 feet/minute so it should work with wood. It has 12" under the guides for resawing. It is plenty beefy to tension a wide blade. I think it maxes out at one inch wide blades.
    Any thoughts on guides and is it too clumsy for wood. I do not plan on any serious resawing.
    Bill D.

Link to old photo

https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.ne...XoskFE.nuQ.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-19-2018 at 2:42 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per TOS

I have a Doall 1612 with full variable speed, also hi/low range for the drive transmission. Thus it goes from 50-5000 fpm. I love it. I can cut metal at a very slow speed to wood as fast as I need. I have cut Hard maple 11 1/2 wide using a 1/2 inch carbide blade into veneer less then 1/32 inch thick. It did need some sanding after though. I installed a 2hp motor 220v/single phase when my phase converter died. I think its a bit under powered, maybe an extra hp would be the best bet. Wiring needs beefed up for higher amp load. I think I wouldn't go over 3/4 inch blade, for me a good 1/2 inch blade slabs wood just fine. Have tried 3/4 inch blades but don't see enough difference between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. Just me

Forgot to add
    One downfall, my saw is not the best with sawdust. I haven't come up with a good way to hook up a vacuum system as many newer band saws have. My saw has a removable tray which although works not well but guess it better then nothing.

The one at work doesn't have any problems cutting wood. It's pretty good on metal too.
    I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the smaller ones, such as you found. I always see the big monsters for sale on CL.
    IMHO, it's a pretty good step up from a Delta 14".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

My doall 1612 (16" throat, 12" height) weighs in the order of 1200 lbs. Was a chore getting it into the shop then placed to where i wanted it to go. Its a beast.

I have just started thinking/looking but I think to get wood speeds you have to get the variable speed. I have not seen a high speed only version. They did make more of the slow speed only units that are too slow for wood.
    Someone on Craigs list near me has a band file blade for $30 but it is not clear how long it is.
    Bill D

Most of them come with a blade welder / grinder so you can make your own.

I have read some people say the welder only works on carbon steel blades others say they have welded bi-metal blades with no problem. The welder is three phase but an easy rewiring to run off 240 single phase.
    Bill D.

I have blades for my 1612 cut to 120".
    I paid $1500 for my saw, (doller a pound?) rotary phase converter, maybe 10 new blades, and a box of extras including v belts, a sliding miter and rip fence from doall. Also included were 20 or so guides for different thickness blades. I tell people who look at the beast "it helped win the war", I let their imagination figure out which war...
    The guy I bought it from used it to cut wood before he turned them on his lathe. He sold the saw to me as he was buying a new " resaw" type band saw. About a month later he called and asked if I would be willing to trade saws. I turned him down.
    Is the saw as good as a dedicated wood cutting band saw? Maybe not. But I use it to cut wood and metal, Have cut 1/2 steel plate with the thing besides 11 1/2 inch maple I veneered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have read some people say the welder only works on carbon steel blades others say they have welded bi-metal blades with no problem. The welder is three phase but an easy rewiring to run off 240 single phase.
    Bill D.
    I have a large Doall with the blade welder an I routinely weld both carbon and bi-metal blades. It is rated for max of 1" width but I have welded 1-1/4" for the woodmizer.

We had a 3616 3 wheel 36" throat used primarily for wood. Excellent saw and I would expect no less from a 16. And don't let them fool you, dust collection on a bandsaw just isn't that good.
    Chuck