Thread: Help with Rosewood and Ebony

Question Help with Rosewood and Ebony

Hello, a generous older friend of mine gifted me some wood blocks as she knows I am starting to make my own daiza (wooden stands for viewing stones). Among the wood she gave me was a small piece of Honduran Mahogany, a block of Teak, a block of unidentified Rosewood species, and a waxed bowl blank of unidentified Ebony species. My friend said she got them from a wood dealer in South East Asia some years back. From my searches, it looks like the Ebony might be Mun Ebony, but I am completely unsure of the Rosewood. Can anyone help confirm the species? Thanks!

Regards,
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bit of a confusing jumble. Anyway there is one block of Brazilian Rosewood, Dalbergia nigra, I have spotted.

Sorry. 1st photo shows the teak, ebony, and rosewood. Second photo is a closeup of the waxed end of the rosewood. Third photo is the ebony. Fourth photo is the Mahogany. Here is a photo of the teak closer up. Thank you for identifying the rosewood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This I can tell you, there is no ebony among the photos visible on my computer screen. It is the central block in the first photo and the third photo showing us the Brazilian Rosewood. It's not to say that the second photo is not another wood "called" Rosewood. Of that there are many.

Ok, very interesting, thank you! So the second photo is unknown. It has a rich coloration.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph W Perry View Post
    Ok, very interesting, thank you! So the second photo is unknown. It has a rich coloration.
    It's known, I recognize it but just don't have the name. You write of some connection to the South East Asia area, is the teak then real Burma Teak, the kind rebels in the North logged and sold to finance their struggle? Beautiful sample.

Ernest, you know your wood. I am just getting started and have some cheaper (tropical ash, mango, leopardwood, chechen) to play with and get better at before I work these. Thank you for your help. If you think of the other wood name, please let me know. I am geeky and tend to be a bit of a mierenneuker when it comes to getting things properly identified.

Thanks,
    Joe

If you are interested in wood you should have a copy of Bruce Hoadley's "Identifying Wood". It is oriented to the woodworker rather than the botanist, so is easier to use than the academic keys.

https://www.amazon.com/Taunton-Press...+bruce+hoadley

I just ordered it. I will take all the help I can get, thanks!

Mierenneuker, ha, if only the moderation of the forum knew it - you'd be banned for life it's certain. Keep it up Joseph.