Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

19 Mar 2018

Greetings,
    The good news is that I came off oncall duty this morning and it wasn't a terrible weekend of work.

I finished the chair repair work and learned that I'm only "fair" at remaking somebody else's design work. I matched the color as best I could and learned that trying to match a 70 year old finish color is next to impossible...so I got it close and called it good. I helped the LOML finish up a chair re-upholstery project she was working on and it turned out really good. That woman has some serious sewing skills.! My youngest son turned 21 yesterday and we also celebrated my MIL's birthday as well. It was a good week and weekend for me and I'm really happy to finish up all this chair repair stuff. Maybe my attitude wasn't the best at this project...maybe because my confidence level wasn't where it should have been, but I did learn a few things on the project and I'm not sure I'll ever take on another chair repair project like this and if I ever do? It will be priced to reflect my pain level.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do over the past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This past week has been slightly different in that I traveled for CNC training in Georgia and then moved on to visit with the 'rents in central Florida for a couple days since I was so far south. Of course, that means I'll be enjoying the interesting weather on the way home. The training was uber-excellent and taught by 'Creeker Gary Campbell. He's an amazing presenter and I recommend that if you have the opportunity to attend training or seminars he's involved in, do so. You will learn a lot and enjoy it at the same time.

I'll be working to finish up the little bit of ceiling work I have remaining in my shop, get things cleaned up and then get back on a couple small commissions that I want to complete before the CNC machine arrives if at all possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Made it a little further along in the barn wood/pallet wood bed project. All of the joinery for the head and foot board frames is finished. All that's left is to build up the panels (3/8" ACX sandwiched on either side of a simple frame, and then covered with a paneling of matching veneers made from the same rough cut red oak). It's still in a rough state though, a little beat up from all of the handling and fine tuning all of the fitted connections. Once it's all together, I'll touch up and restain parts where the clean wood has become exposed before putting on the final finish (Daly's matte finish polyurethane).

barnWoodBed_HeadAndFootBoardFrames.jpg barnWoodBed_HeadAndFootBoardFrames_joinery.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-19-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Nothing much to report this weekend. Did some more framing in the basement remodel. Ended up changing a location of a wall and a door. It wasn't framed up yet, but just laying out the studs, I didn't like the flow.
    Got my car hauler trainer out for a friend to use. Since I don't have enough space, and have to keep everything indoors, I keep my Jeep on top on the trailer in my outbuilding. So it is a bit of a Hokey Pokey to get everything out.

Took a straight forward install of a cyclone and turned it into a disaster by 1 part carelessness, 1 part bad luck, and 1 part getting frustrated and not using my head. Otherwise it was a great weekend.

Nearly done with a whole new dust collection system and a few other shop upgrades and cleanup.

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Nice job, Carlos...the fridge next to the table saw is a very nice touch, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I cleaned on the yard most of Saturday. I did get a new table saw insert finished. I set up my horizontal mortiser to cut the lock mortise on the box I am working on. That's as far as I got. We had a great church service on Sunday. Afterword we went and saw the movie " I can only imagine" I highly recommend it.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's how I lure helpers over. Apparently this weekend we drank just the right amount, as this is what it looks like this morning...

IMG_1160.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm guessing lower temperatures help to keep the saw blades sharp longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    It's how I lure helpers over. Apparently this weekend we drank just the right amount, as this is what it looks like this morning...

IMG_1160.jpg
    That sounds like a good incentive system. Time to make some more!

Fire, water, wood, and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    ...and it wasn't a terrible weekend of work.
    That says a lot!

Grandsons were here half the week, had the very first roasted hot dogs on a real fire. ("This is the BEST hot dog I ever had!!") The next day we scooped some water from the pond behind the barn. I got out some of the microscopes (how many microscopes are too many?) and we examined the microscopic swimmers zipping around. We also looked through a bunch of prepared slides: honeybee's foot, mosquito, various insect eggs, peacock feather, the cells in various plants, red blood cells, spinal cord, etc. He didn't ask about the TV, iPad, or Nintendo for at least two hours! (Ol' grandpa ain't much for 'lowing screen time.)

alex_microscope2.jpg alex_microscope1.jpg

Cut some more turning blocks and bowl blanks. This one is 10" dia x 7" high ambrosia maple.

bowl_blank_ambrosia_maple.jpg

Sawed up some more cedar. I had to do a lot of trimming on this big log just to make it fit on the mill. It's bad in the middle but I sure got a lot of boards around the sides. The cant is a LOT more manageable when cut down to 10x10! This wood is for siding on the peacock house.

sawmill_cedar_log_cant.jpg sawmill_cedar_log_10x10.jpg

And as part of my Lovely Bride's inside and outside remodeling, I got to play in the dirt to put in a landing to a new brick porch to the laundry room. With the forms, gravel, finished it's almost ready to pour the concrete. I'll build the steps from 4" white oak slabs cut on the sawmill.

backhoe_steps.jpg

I'm ready to rest this week. Wait, found my to-do list. Rats.

JKJ

more than just this past weekend

I normally lurk, but this dresser was a three month project for my daughter and son-in-law and came out just the way she wanted it, so I thought I'd post it. Replaced 2 separate dressers with this single one (72"w x 42"h x 20"d). Learned how to use my Leigh jig (finally) and dovetailed the 9 drawers. It's maple with a water based dye stain, a coat of shellac and 3 coats of hand rubbed poly.
    Thank for the opportunity to show it off or should I say letting my granddaughter show it off.
    Mark
    29314658_10100923404287660_4078401953875361792_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Arnold View Post
    I normally lurk, but this dresser was a three month project for my daughter and son-in-law and came out just the way she wanted it, so I thought I'd post it. Replaced 2 separate dressers with this single one (72"w x 42"h x 20"d). Learned how to use my Leigh jig (finally) and dovetailed the 9 drawers. It's maple with a water based dye stain, a coat of shellac and 3 coats of hand rubbed poly.
    Thank for the opportunity to show it off or should I say letting my granddaughter show it off.
    Mark
    I like that a lot. I'm not a fan of overly ornate or complicated edges and features. The simple bevels look great, clean, and show off the grain well.

Wow, nice job! I'll bet the granddaughter has been putting stuff in the drawers for "testing"!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Arnold View Post
    Mark