Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVLP Sprayer recommendation for Air Compressor

HVLP Sprayer recommendation for Air Compressor

I am looking for recommendations on an air compressor HVLP gun for spraying finish. I already have a water/oil separator installed in the line - I looked at the 3-m Accuspray and think this will be overkill? Home Depot has one that looks a lil promising. Any suggestions? I have an Earlex 6003 Sprayport System, but would like an air compressor gun as well. I am a weekend warrior woodworker, so use will be small.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gr...HVSG/203497641
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

I've been quite happy with the Wagner HPLV conversion guns that I've owned for many years. They are reasonably priced, too. Gleem Paint is where I bought mine online.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tangentially related, but: Has anybody tried the new Fuji compressor guns (LPX/MPX)?

No personal experience w this one - You may want to check it out.

Marc

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I've had good experience with gravity feed guns. Better than the siphon guns I've used.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What led you to conclude the 3M Accuspray system is overkill? I don't own one but they look like a very well thought out system. Others have told me they spray great.

What is deficient about your Sprayport System? Are there certain materials you want to spray that it can't?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've had good experience with gravity feed guns. Better than the siphon guns I've used.

Mike
    Indeed. I've had good luck with pressurized siphon guns like 3M PPS and the Fuji T70, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What led you to conclude the 3M Accuspray system is overkill? I don't own one but they look like a very well thought out system. Others have told me they spray great.

What is deficient about your Sprayport System? Are there certain materials you want to spray that it can't?

John
    nothing deficient about sprayport system... Love it so far! Would like to keep it “ pristine” by keeping it in my basement workshop...would like something similar compressor driven for the tractor workshop...
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    nothing deficient about sprayport system... Love it so far! Would like to keep it “ pristine” by keeping it in my basement workshop...would like something similar compressor driven for the tractor workshop...

OK, then the Husky you linked to will probably meet your needs in the tractor workshop just fine.

John

One thing I'll add is that no matter what gun you buy, learn how to clean it well. If you don't clean it well after each use, it won't last long - or you'll have a major cleaning job to do on the hardened finish.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One thing I'll add is that no matter what gun you buy, learn how to clean it well. If you don't clean it well after each use, it won't last long - or you'll have a major cleaning job to do on the hardened finish.
    For reactive finishes (varnish, water-base, etc) this is very true. You can get away with sloppier practices with evaporative finishes like lacquer and shellac, though

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    For reactive finishes (varnish, water-base, etc) this is very true. You can get away with sloppier practices with evaporative finishes like lacquer and shellac, though
    Patrick is correct. I shoot shellac sometime as a sanding sealer and to give some orange tint for the very clear water based finishes we have here in CA. I found that even shellac could cause problems to the gun if it was not cleaned very well. So now, I have one gun dedicated to shellac, and when I finish using it, I take the parts of the gun and put them in a jar of alcohol until the next time I use the gun (with a top on the jar, of course, so the alcohol doesn't evaporate).

I found this eliminated any problems regarding cleaning and I get a good "shoot" with shellac.

The other place I'll mention that needs cleaning is the air hole at the top of a gravity feed gun. With water based finishes, that hole can get blocked with dried finish. When you look at the hole, it will appear that nothing is blocking it because the finish is so clear. Always make sure you check that hole and assure it's open. If it's not open, when you go to spray, you won't get much output - your spray will be very light - because the finish can't flow to the spray orifice.

Yeah, I know - don't ask how I learned that.

Mike

Mike
    I don't know about conversion guns but the Earlex HVLP gun is really easy to break down and clean, no narrow or convoluted fluid passages. I wonder if the same is true of most "cup under" pressurized cup guns. I think a pressurized cup really helps with being able to spray higher viscosity finishes with less thinning.

14. Patrick,

Yes; I have both the MPX-30 and LX-20 models.

LX 20 small.jpg MPX spraying spindle small.jpg
    MPX-30 (left photo) LX-20 (right photo)

IMG_8704.jpg
    Specs of my compressor

They both perform extremely well, but you've got to have an adequate compressor as they need a lot of CFM. I'm currently running them with a Sanborn 30 gallon compressor, which if you look closely at the above photo you'll see it generates only 6.3 CFM at 40PSI, which is not quite up to Fuji's recommended 13.8CFM @ 36PSI. I've found that for my needs it works well enough, but I'm not doing production spraying and the 30 gallon tank holds enough for me to spray smaller pieces without the compressor kicking in. And when it kicks in and I'm still spraying it seems to keep up well enough. If I were doing this for a business, though, I'd invest in a much larger compressor and instal it in its own separate room and with excellent oil and water filtraton and of course piping throughout the shop.

The MPX-30, which is a LP (low pressure) gun (Fuji describes it as a mid-pressure gun) is similar to the LX-20, which is a HVLP conversion gun. Of the two, I'm most impressed with the MPX-30 and as you can see I've got their gravity fed model. I swapped out the 0 - 100 PSI gauge it came with for a 0 - 60PSI gauge to better see the pressure readings; the gun pressure is usually used at around the 8 - 12PSI range, and the space between pressure marks on the larger scale gauge made it difficult for me to see. A few PSI either way make a huge difference in performance, and each finish works best at different settings due to their viscosity and other features.

I own a Fuji 5-stage compressor and have their T-series, and the older GXP-C and touch-up gun. I find that I'm using the MPX-30 more than any other gun, but also like the convenience of turbine guns.

Sorry for the extra detail, but I though it'd help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Tangentially related, but: Has anybody tried the new Fuji compressor guns (LPX/MPX)?

This has been a great thread! I have learned lots so far! Lets go back to HVLP turbine units for a second... Can you swap guns with turbines? For example can i use my friends Titan HVLP on my 3 stage Earlex turbine and vice versa? I am thinking of picking up a second HVLP gun just to shoot Shellac and was wondering if there are any specs i need to consider?