Thread: What is the smallest footprint for a tables saw in a shop?

What is the smallest footprint for a tables saw in a shop?

Hey all,

So I've been getting a lot more serious with woodworking, and really wanted to expand my current work area so I can work year round without having to worry about rain/cold days ruining progress. For the most part I am a neanderthal woodworker, but I do like to use a table saw in my arsenal because it is just so versatile, and speeds up projects greatly. My current saw is a Hitachi C10RJ which has been great thus far because I need to move it in and out of my basement when I want to work, so the mobility of it has been a godsend lol.

Anyways, my new workshop area will be an expansion of my laundry room in the basement. Since my basement is finished, this is the only indoor area of my house that I can work in year round. My laundry room is currently 6ft in length, and 8ft wide, so I plan on expanding it by cannibalizing a section of my finished basement. I'll be increasing the size to 11ft length by 8ft in width. The only power tools I'll be using is the table saw (with dedicated dust collection), router table (which will just simply be put on top of the table saw whenever I need it, and use its dust collection), and cordless drill/impact drivers. The rest of my tool lineup is all neanderthal.

I've attached a mock-up of how I envision it now (The dash line across the width is the current size of the laundry room). The largest sheet good I'll dimension is a half sheet of plywood since I can't transport full sheets. The table saw will be built on a stand with casters so I can move it around if need be. Also my workbench will be on casters so I can position it as an out feed table if needed. Do ya'll think this setup will work for a part-time woodworker?

Cabinet and hybrid saws will have the smallest footprint; contractor saws have that big outboard motor extension that would aways be in your way. Actually the first thing that came to mind was an old unisaw with a Jet-Lock fence, but one of those wouldn't be easy to get hold of these days.

One thing you might consider is keeping the Hitachi for sheet goods and ripping, and getting a 14 inch bandsaw for the shop. They have a really small footprint and complement hand tool working very well. I tend to do about 3/4 power tool and 1/4 hand tool (hand tool has gotten smaller as the arthritis has gotten worse) and the two most used stationary tools in my shop are the table saw and the band saw (the SCMS is a close third).

As Andrew stated a cabinet or Hybrid is the best solution for footprint. I just replaced my contractor saw with an older Delta Hybrid and what a space saving change. The motor being inside the base makes my small shop feel much larger. The hybrid is slightly smaller than a cabinet saw but both are basically contained under the top and wings vs the motor protruding out like a CS. It really depends on what you want to do with your TS. A few people have given up their TS and switched to a track saw. Between that and a router they did not need anything else. Since your current saw is small and portable, maybe you keep it and invest in a track saw and router so you have them all, but none will take up too much space.

It is hard to scale your TS from your drawing it looks like 4' or 6' depending on what you reference. Are you going to make a simple base or a larger work table with drawers? Maybe you make an integrated saw/bench on wheels.

Let us know more of what you want to do/make in your shop.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Slightly off topic, but get yourself a copy of Microsoft Visio and use that to layout your shop. Or you can try the free web tool from Grizzly if you're going to be buying/using/or own Grizzly tools: LINK
    Either way one of the best tools you can have when laying out a shop is a good scale drawing app to help you plan it all out and make lots of changes.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Not an answer to your question but a tip for small shop layout. Make all the surfaces in your shop the same height (workbench, table saw, assembly table etc.). That way you can support larger pieces off 2 or more surfaces when necessary. Have a look at Peter Millard's Youtube channel "10 Minute Workshop" for an example of a small shop layout.

6. One option would be to build a base for your Hitachi C10RJ that is smaller than the wheeled carriage it comes with. I did that with a Dewalt model similar to your Hitachi C10RJ and it worked out well for me. It really saved a lot of space. The base is the size of the table. I don't use a table saw in the normal fashion as much as most woodworkers so I find the setup adequate.

As a side note...
    I do have a second table saw dedicated to sawing fret slots in musical instruments it's footprint could be as little as 18"x20" if the motor was mounted directly under it. I grew up using a 1940's or 50's Sears Dunlap table saw that was something like 10"x18"and it would serve me well enough as my fret saw if I still had it.

Easy enough to draw rectangles and squares in Grizzlys Shop Planner tool. No need to only limit yourself to their icons. They have a lot of types of tools and many are similar to other brands so it helps. Also helps those of us with wood and metal tools.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have to work in a tight space. I deal with it by only keeping a short (but very accurate) fence on my hybrid table saw, and cutting sheet goods with a track saw. The track saw is a slower way to go, but you need a whole lot of space for the fence wingspan if you want to cut sheet goods on a table saw. I also keep my table saw on a mobile base, so I can move it around easily. The fence I use is the shortest available fence from Vega, by the way. Awesome fence. But I can't rip very wide stock, due to its limitations. My track saw is the DeWalt, and I am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not an answer to your question but a tip for small shop layout. Make all the surfaces in your shop the same height (workbench, table saw, assembly table etc.). That way you can support larger pieces off 2 or more surfaces when necessary. Have a look at Peter Millard's Youtube channel "10 Minute Workshop" for an example of a small shop layout.
    That video was perfect for my work space. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention

Yor welcome, sometimes I wish my shop was smaller so I could use some more of his shop layout ideas . Just kidding but he does show you can run a commercial shop in what most of us would consider not nearly enough space, also enjoy his dry Britt sense of humour.

Smallest footprint, how about hinging the left wing?

One of the 1950's table saws will be smaller then most modern stuff without the plastic. My old Delta contractors saw was small with the motor directly below the blade arbor.
    Bil lD.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328973947764655546/