Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rabbet plane for cove molding

Long time ago, Stanley made a "Core Box Plane" for pattern makers to cut coves and other hollow items...

Wow, that cove box plane is interesting

OK, it is cove molding time again! I did the last one with a lot of help from forum members, including Brian who loaned me his beautiful LN carriage rabbet plane - what a powerful plane. Warren, thanks for the advice for cutting away on the face of the board. After 6 months your wisdom finally sank in...I am a slow learner. I have been reading about cove molding on a tablesaw, but as wannabe Neander, I want to do this with handtools. My plan is to cut most of the depth of the cove with a Record 778, Stanley 46, wooden rabbet plane & finish off with a #16 round ( I have a user I picked up from Jim Bode last year ) I will draw cove profile on ends of 6 foot boards & mark edges of cove profile on face of boards. Any advice, particularly how I keep the cove uniform for 6 feet on the face....eyeball it ? Make curved mirror image template?083284FD-71A0-4AA4-B168-8C88FE0C507C.jpgD1B52F45-4856-4D31-876E-336A826679FB.jpg

Mark, send me your email address. I have an early Christmas gift for you lol. You can either text me or send it via PM, they'll both get to my phone eventually.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Mark, send me your email address. I have an early Christmas gift for you lol. You can either text me or send it via PM, they'll both get to my phone eventually.
    I love the Holiday spirit!!

Blog Entries
    I will draw cove profile on ends of 6 foot boards & mark edges of cove profile on face of boards. Any advice, particularly how I keep the cove uniform for 6 feet on the face....eyeball it ? Make curved mirror image template?
    It will surprise you how well your eyes will help you to keep your cove true. Starting with the rabbets will also help.

To the best of my memory Roy Underhill uses a template when he makes a rule joint. A rule joint can be made with a pair of hollows & rounds. Here is the episode.

https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...e-joints-rule/

Be careful, it could inspire you to purchase a few more planes and try a new project or two.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim!

Blog Entries
    You are welcome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)