Thread: Calibrated slot mortiser

Calibrated slot mortiser

Does anyone know of a calibrated slot mortiser other than panhans? Id like to pick one up but want a gauge that will tell me height as i adjust the machine. Im tired of the guesswork with my existing mortiser and tenoner

Why don't you add a DRO to your current machine? Accurate Technologies' ProScale line seems to be well regarded.

I dont currently have a slot mortiser. Switching over to loose tenons and want to get a slot mortiser that can be set accuratley and repeatably.

I think Felder makes a dial indicator that fits in the handle for my slot mortiser but it’s in metric units. Over all it’s a great machine and I like it. A digital read out could be rigged for both the height and x/y travel. You could zero the x/y one in the middle of the travel then set the stops for + and - half the mortise length. Or set one stop and zero and measure over the length of the mortise.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Blog Entries
    I markout all of my mortises, but you can just mark one out one and use it to set the height and stops. A DRO on the height would be useful, even setting between gauge marks invites some level of inaccuracy.

One of the best features of using inserted tenons is that the mating pieces are automatically registered in the z dimension and the location of the mortise in the workpiece thickness is independent of any other joinery (cope/stick, etc.), so I have never felt the need for a vertical readout. Matching mortises and tenons is another story. I will pull out the dial indicator when needed, and I do regularly use it to get my center index mark dead nuts. If you want calibration on the vertical axis then so be it, but I would consider dialing in the side to side movement more important. Bryan's suggestion of adding a DRO to the x axis is a good one.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 03-19-2018 at 9:36 AM.

Steve Smith in CO has a Kolle slot mortiser listed on woodweb. Steve is a stand up guy and Kolle made Martin quality machines. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    I think Felder makes a dial indicator that fits in the handle for my slot mortiser but it’s in metric units. Over all it’s a great machine and I like it. .
    Hi, The part numbers for the readouts are as follows

Metric 01.1.200, sale price $79.90

Imperial 01.2.200, sale price $119.00

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...param=01.2.200

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.