Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pfeil steel

Pfeil steel

Hi, can anyone tell me what tyoe of steel the Pfeil chisels are made from? All I get from their ad copy is "Swiss alloy".
    Thanks.

It's a secret formula involving chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    It's a secret formula involving chocolate.
    The same kind of chocolate they used to put in C-rations. You could touch that stuff with a bayonet.
    Jim

I found this link. I'm not 100% sure that Im interpreting it correctly because I can't find what the footnotes are tied too. But Note 3 seems to say CrV steel. If that's so, it still isn't much - but it's a little more than "swiss alloy".
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-18-2018 at 3:08 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm just looking for something similar to o1 or HCS when it comes to sharpening. I use older vintage chisels as well as the Aldis chisels, which are CrV, I think. Just want to make sure it's not A2, or one of the "super steels" or modern steels.

From the link you posted, it looks like they will do. The last note they make on the right in this link is the one I'm interested in. If they will hone with Arkansas I'm good to go.

http://www.pfeiltools.com/en/products/sharpening.html

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 03-18-2018 at 3:17 PM.

If you're looking for O1, you might look at these: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...19&cat=1,41504

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    I'm just looking for something similar to o1 or HCS when it comes to sharpening. I use older vintage chisels as well as the Aldis chisels, which are CrV, I think. Just want to make sure it's not A2, or one of the "super steels" or modern steels.
    It's definitely not A2 or one of the modern "super steels". I can't tell you what's in it, but from working with Pfiel tools, I'd say the metal is very similar to a plain carbon steel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The best info I have come up with is that it is some sort of proprietary equivalent to DIN 1.2210 / L2 / 115CRV3... That's approximately 52100 with a bit more carbon..

It seems a bit more stain resistant than stuff like O1 and W1 - which probably means more Cr and probably a pinch of V for grain refinement.. And it's not quite so beautifully dry feeling on the stones... Pfeil is not known for any sort of sharpening stone trauma - so you know they don't go too far afield...

Many thanks, gentlemen.
    Bill, thanks. Would love to own the Veritas O1, but the price is too high for my budget. I was considering Ashley Isles, but finding them in individual chisels is near impossible; I can find sets, but I'm trying to buy a 3 or 4 piece set, one at a time as funds allow. The Pfeil are just a bit more pricey, but look to be more readily available.
    On that note, has anyone here had any current issues with Woodcraft?
    I placed an order with them about two years ago. Did not receive shipping notice or product for a couple of weeks. Emailed them, got no answer, and finally, after about a month chasing my tail, ended up cancelling my order and have not dealt with them since. But they are still in business, and carry the Pfeil, so I'm assuming they got whatever it was straightened out.

I haven't had any problems with Woodcraft but I tend to use my local store, not the Internet. If you're going to buy Pfiel carving tools, you should go handle them first. Also check the sweeps to make sure you're getting what you need.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    ... I was considering Ashley Isles, but finding them in individual chisels is near impossible; ....
    TFWW sells them individually, but has trouble keeping them in stock. If you aren't in a rush or get lucky they should (eventually) be able to get you the sizes you want.

My (2 month old) Pfeil is certainly a good chisel and they have a confortable octagonal handle - but in all honesty - unless you want really fine side bevels - the new $15 Marples, Two Cherries, and Ashley Iles are great chisels at 1/3'or 2/3 the price..

And if you do want fine side bevels - the Woodcraft Socket Chisel is a good choice at about the same price.

Any of those 4 chisels are on par with the Pfeil for general bench work.... I probably won't buy any more of the Pfeils... It's not that they are bad - they just don't stand out against the others...

Currently - the Woodcraft socket chisels are my go-to bench chisels. I just like the way the feel... And on the stones - they are fantastic and dry feeling... And they touch up super fast. If you already have good vintage Stanley 750's - they won't give up anything to the Pfeil...

This is supposedly an analysis of the carving tools. Can't speak to the methodology or resulting accuracy. You'll need Google translate for that link unless you can read it natively.

https://www.tallamadera.com/articulo...elegir-gubia-4

I've had some Pfeil bench chisels and honestly I'd say they are nothing special against any other European maker. I like their carving tools because they don't make them overly thick as the English and many other makers do. For all around bench chisels, I'd prefer Stubai. Cheaper and the steel seems tougher.

I'd probably get the AI over both though because I don't care for the giant "German/European" style handles unless you've got mits like Andre the Giant.

One other European set I do like and it's because of the handles, are the Two-Cherries with the dark red plastic handles. I'm sure it's heresy here to admit to liking a chisel with a non wood handle, but these have a great shape to them unlike their wood handled brothers and don't have the uncomfortable steel hoop at the end.