Thread: Stanley miter box

Stanley miter box

I have a 2358 miter box, would like to use it more but it weighs 50lbs. Was thanking about building a stand for it so I don't have to keep picking it up.
    Been looking for ideas but haven't found any pictures . Has anyone build one?

Haven't built one, but it shouldn't be difficult to design: a bench at a comfortable height with wings at the height of the bed. Or you could buy one of the chopsaw stands with adjustable-height rollers on it, and put your saw on that.

Blog Entries
    A small utility bench is easy to make:

Utility Bench.jpg

This one is half laps and mortises in the front legs. The drawer is dovetailed.

The top can be made so it and the miter box holding surface is in the same plane. Swing up extension wings would also be easy. Add locking wheels and off you go.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can have the one My Langdon 75 came home on..
    side view.jpg
    As the Boss is currently using the stand as a plant stand...needs a drawer rebuilt..
    handle side.jpg
    Just angle iron frame. You can flatten out the feet a bit more..and bolt/lag it to a floor..

robert i keep mine on a workmate, dont need for anything in the shop. jerry

I would, as a former trim carpenter, suggest a stand or bench height of about 28 inches. I was trained that the worker must dominate the material and with thumb pressure clamp the workpiece down. A higher bench feels uncomfortable to me for control and stroking the saw. I'm a six footer.

These kind of big mitre boxes used a type of stock-holder to keep a board tight to the fence. I seem to prefer the handle of the saw to be about the same level as my elbow. And, I'm 5'11"

Mine is mounted to a board that has a cleat on it. That allows me to use it on any flat surface as I would a bench hook. My preferred location is on my benchtop, with the cleat held in the vise. I have also used it that way in my Workmate, which is a great setup in situ.

9. Having a tiny 10' x 6' shop, I resorted to mounting my miter box to a metal stand (possibly salvaged from an old drill press) to save room. It slides out quickly. I just use my left foot to hold the stand when sawing. This is good for a few quick crosscuts.
    I have a second miter box hanging on the wall that I place on my Workmate in the garage when working with longer stock or if I need a lot of cuts.
    Miter Box 2.jpgMiter Box.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images