Thread: Rotary issues?

Rotary issues?

Yesterday, I went to run a job on our rotary attachment. As it started to engrave, the lens traveled the full width of the machine instead of just over the mug. I was running on the rotary just fine the day before.

I tried engraving without the rotary--same thing. The arm travels far wider than the width of the image.

We rebooted the computer and the machine. We detached and reattached the USB cord. We replaced the USB cord with a new one. I created a new file in Corel Draw. I uploaded new UCP drivers. And now, I'm out of ideas.

We're guessing the issue is not with the machine, but with something communicating with the machine.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything else to try?

Thank you!

Sandi Marlowe
    Universal Laser VLS6.60

Just a WAG... Wild AL Guess... Does the Page size in corel match the laser bed?
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Did you have a vector line around it that you forgot to skip?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Does the UI show the rotary layout or normal layout? The rotary connector has to be connected solidly in order for the laser system to detect the rotary's presence and then I think you have to select the rotary in the print setup.

Both my LS900 and GCC's rotary's have they're own, very specific 'home' settings compared to the table settings.

When the GCC boots up with the rotary plugged in, the table goes to the basement, then the head finds the limit switches, and finally the head parks at the rotary's home, which is 0-left X directly above the 'chuck' (which is a rubber cone) and 0-center Y, aligned to the centerline of the rotary's drive shaft.

When the LS900 boots up with the rotary attached, it does what it always does- nothing. It only does something when a button is pushed, at which time it zero's to the top-left corner. But when the rotary is connected, the table drops before it homes into the corner. Unlike the GCC which parks over the rotary, the LS900 parks in the top left corner.

For both machines my 'page' size is ALWAYS 16" long, regardless of how long the object really is (easier when all rotary jobs are based on the same length, and I always locate the centers manually anyway) and the height is always diameter x pi, with matching diameter entered in the print driver.

I suspect your Uni acts similarly-- And after having typed all this, I just re-read your post, and the machine is doing it in FLAT mode too?

You ask if the page size in Corel must match the machine bed- No, BUT, and I've run into this issue since my GCC has a 32" bed and my LS900 is 24"-- IF something is laid out at a certain point in Corel on the GCC bed, and I send it to the LS900, the engraving will be 4" too far to the right, half the 8" size difference. Running smaller page sizes than the work table shouldn't matter however, since they're within the working boundaries...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle