Thread: GO773 bowl tool rest

GO773 bowl tool rest

I am having trouble finding a bowl tool rest for my GO733. The problem seems to be the the rest holder in the banjo, and stock rest shaft measure 63/64s the Nova rest I tried was 1” exact. Any ideas?

I bored out my banjo to 1" so all of my rests would fit---many others have done the same thing. It will not negatively affect the Grizzly rest's fit.

Outside of boring out your rest to 1", you could contact Robust. They make an excellent bowl rest. I know their website states that they can custom make a rest to the 0766 measurements. Me, I would bore out the hole to give you more options and would be able to use your existing rest.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Sounds like a plan..thanks

The Grizzly is actually made with a 25 mm hole in the banjo. Interestingly it is close to 63/64ths. But in the US most people like 1" (or 25.4 mm).

I just measured my banjo on my 766 that I brought home. Tuesday it measures 1.002in. I guess grizzly listened!

Stevan, I have a 6-y/o G0733 and a 2-1/2 y/o G0766. Both came with banjos bored to 25 mm. Latest word (from Scott) is that the G0766s, at least, are now shipping with 1" banjo bores. My guess is that the G0733 will be as well. For yours, you can order tool rests with 25 mm posts, but you're much better off just drilling out the hole with a 1" Silver & Demming twist drill. Your stock rest will still work fine, and that way you'll have a wide variety of standard 1" post tool rests available. Depending on the particular drill bit you use, and the "nominal" 1" bar stock that a tool rest manufacturer uses, you may need to take some 60-grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and enlarge the bore a bit more once you've drilled it out. Easy to do in the cast iron material.

NB: Best to use a drill press, although it can be done carefully with a hand drill. Either way, be sure to clamp your banjo down firmly! A little WD-40 or light cutting oil will help with the drilling and clear the millings as you go.
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 03-19-2018 at 11:57 AM.

The new Grizzly tool rests are now 1" diameter posts according to the parts lists. But P0766056V2 is not available yet as a separate purchase part.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    The new Grizzly tool rests are now 1" diameter posts according to the parts lists. But P0766056V2 is not available yet as a separate purchase part.
    I just checked the spec sheet on both the G0733 and the larger G0766, and now they both state a 1" diameter post on the tool rests. I suppose we can thank Shiraz Balolia for his willingness to take this step and receive input from turners who own the machine. Nice improvement, so kudo's to Grizzly Industrial!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!