Thread: Dust collector question

Dust collector question

I currently have a modified Delta 50-760 dust collector that was originally rated at 1200 cmf (see pictures). I have added a cyclone and cartridge filter to the dust collector. After I purchased and started using a 25" dual drum sander I am finding that the dust collector is not quite enough. So my question is should I modify my existing setup by adding a larger impeller and motor, or would I be better off purchasing a new dust collector? What size dust collector would I need to be able to effectively control the dust on a 25" dual drum sander?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most say that when you add a wide sander to the shop, a cyclone is a lot better as it will separate most of the fine dust keeping the filter and the airflow up. The smaller dust deputy type cyclone I don't think is designed for 1200 cfm but I might be wrong.

There will be now way to modify that system to handle a 25" dual drum. I don't know if your sander has one or two ports but if only one, you need to either add a second or run an impeller with enough diameter to pull high cfm through a 4" port and a 6" main. I'd say 3 hp is minimum and the 5 hp oneida Smart or Clearvue 5 hp ( I like the max with the 16" impeller ) would for sure be the best option. Woodworking cyclones only separate 40-70% of fine sanding dust so you will need to shake or blow out cartridges regularly. The CF cyclone is a little better at separating but the Smart system pulls higher cfm under pressure so life is a tradeoff. When you get into sanders, part of the cost is upgrading to a good DC system. If you go with a 3 hp type system, a trend airshield for your face is also an option. If cost is a big deal. look for a new or used 3 hp direct bagger ( two top bags ), replace the bags with oversize singed poly from American Fabric and leave out the cyclone. The additional cfm resulting from avoiding the cyclone will juice the 3 hp system cfm. Because there is no pre separation, you won't want cartridges but large bags you can beat with a broom every week. Dave

Sell the Delta and start over with a cyclone.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

So when I have been looking at the cyclone dust collectors most of them are arrow d 1400-1600 Cfm. Is that really going to be much better than my 1200 delta? What cyclone do u guys recommend. Clear vue, jet, laguna?

The Delta you have will never even get close to the "rated" 1200 CFM as that's likely a free-air figure. Mass market DCs are like that. The CFM numbers you see from worthy cyclone manufacturers usually are accompanied by a fan curve which will tell you how they perform in somewhat real-world situations. Best performance is going to come from long-cone cyclones such as ClearVue and Oneida. Short-cone designs like mass marketers Grizzly, Jet, Laguna, JDS, etc., do not provide nearly as good separation based on most sources that are knowledgable about such things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cyclones are just pre separators and help to keep most of the chips and fines out of the cartridges. The cfm ratings on most hobby type collectors are inflated so you need to look at the cfm under various static pressures to get an idea of capabilities. A cyclone will add 2-4" of SP to a system, depending on design. Generally the better at separating fines, the higher the pressure drop created by the cyclone. Very long cone cyclones filter fines the best but are too long and create too much resistance ( pressure drop ) to be used by hobby woodworkers. Filter area and material type also affect pressure drop and filtration effectiveness. Most 3 hp units run a 14" curved blade impeller and have an operating range of 700-1100 cfm, 5 hp and 15" impellers are running in the 800-1400 range with 16" impellers geting a little higher- maybe 1600 cfm depending on the pipe and port size. Some guys with very short runs and proper pipe can do a little better than numbers I've quoted. Look at the Oneida fan curves for the various sizes and look at the 6-12" SP ranges to see what your min amd max would be. Analyze The Cincinnati PBS fan tables on the internet and you can compare the cfm ratings of both curved and radial ( straight blade ) designs and how inlet size and pressure affect them. Altitude is also a consideration. If you live in the mile high city, your actual cfm will be less ( maybe 10% or more ) than the ratings which are usually at sea level. Dave

Depending on the system you are looking at, that 1400-1600 cfm is likely including the loss from the cyclone, possibly taken at the inlet or at the end of a length of duct, it's probably stated if you look at the fan curve chart.

Your Delta's 1200 cfm won't account for the loss from the cyclone you're using and really is an exaggeration that is unrealistic.

I would recommend a beefier system rather than throwing more money into what you have for possibly minimal benefit and a realisation you should have just got a beefier system...

Or try to improve what you have at a minimal/no cost: move your sander closer to the DC for a shorter duct run, use a larger duct, 5 or 6 inch, better pickup at the tool, etc. to try to maximize the performance of what you have and see if you can make an improvement.

When you realise you want a cyclone though... I really like my Oneida and wouldn't hesitate to get one of their products again.

Wood Magazine tested your dust collector and got around 700 CFM and not sufficient for a 25" dual drum sander. My suggestion is to get at least a 3 hp cyclone dust collector. Drum Sanders are notorious for clogging filters and you need a good cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The Delta you have will never even get close to the "rated" 1200 CFM as that's likely a free-air figure. Mass market DCs are like that. The CFM numbers you see from worthy cyclone manufacturers usually are accompanied by a fan curve which will tell you how they perform in somewhat real-world situations. Best performance is going to come from long-cone cyclones such as ClearVue and Oneida. Short-cone designs like mass marketers Grizzly, Jet, Laguna, JDS, etc., do not provide nearly as good separation based on most sources that are knowledgable about such things.
    Grizzly cones are actually just as long as oneida and cv cyclones, I wouldn't consider them short cones and they seperate quite well. I believe the impellers are even an inch or so larger. Either way, any of the cyclones would be a much better system for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buehler View Post
    Grizzly cones are actually just as long as oneida and cv cyclones, I wouldn't consider them short cones and they seperate quite well. I believe the impellers are even an inch or so larger. Either way, any of the cyclones would be a much better system for you.
    My apologies for providing inaccurate information. I try not to do that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No worries just thought I would point it out

The fine particles from sanding are difficult to capture and collect. I wonder if you might gain sufficient air flow and capture velocity by taking the cyclone out of line. Just a thought, FWIW.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!