Thread: Will adhesive-backed velcro adhere to a Danish Oil finish?

Will adhesive-backed velcro adhere to a Danish Oil finish?

I'm about to begin assembly of a guitar effects pedalboard of Walnut, Padauk and Maple. Danish Oil really makes these woods pop, but I need a good adherent surface for the velcro strips. Anyone tried this?

Here's a random (not mine) example of a pedalboard with velcro for those who aren't familiar with this type of project:

02e0813d44eed1d69dab7234b30d7ea9.jpg

There are different flavors of Danish Oil. I think the ones containing varnish would work, but may take a while to cure first.

I suggest trying some on a piece of scrap that you sand as you will the piece.

I do think a surface finish would be easier to maintain. I'm thinking shoe contact.

little tiny nails/screws...that's what I used once a long time ago when dealing with velcro to wood...this was a solution derived after the adhesive had failed on the wood yet was still on the pedal

One could attach or inlay a strip of metal as an interface.

Once it's actually cured, "Danish Oil"...which is an oil-varnish mixture...shouldn't present much issue with accepting adhesive strips, such as those on hook and loop type tapes. You could also hedge and add a coat of de-waxed shellac in the area where the effects will get stuck down or do like Bradley suggests and inlay some material that you "know" will accept the sticky tape adhesive. Something dark will not show at all in the scheme of things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a good suggestion, Jim. Shellac will certainly help - everything sticks to shellac and shellac sticks to everything...

You might also get the velcro tape that is used for outdoor or heavy duty use - some of those adhesives are much stronger than the regular tape.

TedP

Thanks guys. I'm going with the shellac option, and at the advice of another builder of these, I'm switching to 3M Dual Lock. It has the industrial adhesive as Ted recommended, and has a much stronger hold. Here's phase one:

pedalbrd2.JPG

Dual Lock is great, on the advice of a more experienced builder I used it in my second wood strip canoe to hold the seat in place while allowing it to be adjustable. The adhesive is quite strong, mine is stuck to an Epifanes spar varnished surface and has held just fine.
    Zach