Thread: Difference in Oneway Stronghold Chuck Keys

Difference in Oneway Stronghold Chuck Keys

I have four Oneway Stronghold chucks. The latest one I bought used ,but in newly new condion. It was purchased new by a woodturning friend. My old keys have 11 cogs on the key and work well on all 4 chucks. The newest on has 12 cogs and doesn’t mesh well in any of the chucks including the one it came with. One rotation of the key and I have to to pull it out and reinsert it to rotate another rotation. The key was purchase with the chuck. Another one of my friends complained about the same thing. Does anyone have 12 tooth keys on their Oneway?

E81F7D04-BE3F-4CEF-83C1-5DECE7BDF3F9.jpg EDBA2B2D-A8C9-4F3C-BF3E-6184023F21F1.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

The key for my Oneway Talon Chuck has 12 cogs on it...could it be possible the wrong key was shipped with the chuck you have when it was new?

I'll have to check, I recently got a new Stronghold ( my favourite chuck) and the key that came with it will not work in my old chuck but the old key works both chucks. I didn't look too deeply just went about using the old chuck. I better go count the cogs!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Why not call Oneway, they do have a 1 800 number, 1-800-565-7288, they can give you the answer to your ??

I just made a picture with both keys, one thing, my Stronghold keys are much longer than the Talon keys.

Chuck keys.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-18-2018 at 1:31 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Checked mine this am and they have the same number of teeth or dogs. Just cut slightly differently.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

I notice Leo’s looks like my newer one. There is a hard rubber ring on the handle end of the gear cogs on my older key. On the newer one the cogs are longer and cut into the larger shaft.

Because of the shading in the photo I can't quite see all the 'cogs' but from my count each has 12? Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I have four Oneway Stronghold chucks. The latest one I bought used ,but in newly new condion. It was purchased new by a woodturning friend. My old keys have 11 cogs on the key and work well on all 4 chucks. The newest on has 12 cogs and doesn’t mesh well in any of the chucks including the one it came with. One rotation of the key and I have to to pull it out and reinsert it to rotate another rotation. The key was purchase with the chuck. Another one of my friends complained about the same thing. Does anyone have 12 tooth keys on their Oneway?

E81F7D04-BE3F-4CEF-83C1-5DECE7BDF3F9.jpg EDBA2B2D-A8C9-4F3C-BF3E-6184023F21F1.jpg
    Pete

That was one of the main reasons I purchased the Vicmarc chucks. They use an off the shelf 10mm allen key. Several times over the years manufacturers have changed the keys on their line of chucks (not necessarily Oneway). That and if you lose a key you have to buy one from the manufacturer and that assumes they still make the same chuck.

Our turning club bought some new Talon chucks and these new keys fit with some difficulty into my older Talon chucks. Also, the Stronghold and Talon keys are not interchangeable in the other chuck.

All of my keys (Talon and Stronghold) have 12 cogs.

I have run into problems with Oneway "sizing" before. A friend bought a new Oneway coring system base but didn't have his blades yet. I took my blades down and discovered that my posts were 1" (25.4 mm) while his were 25 mm. Obviously we didn't get to core any bowls since my posts wouldn't fit into his base. Glenn Lucas also complained about this same problem. Oneway is a Canadian company and seem to have had problems with English and metric units.

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by David Gilbert; 03-19-2018 at 2:23 PM.

Well, it looks like there are numerous alterations to these chuck keys. Thanks to all for the input.

At some point in the past, One-way changed the design of the scroll gear and the key that operates the Chuck. Dimensionally the scroll gear is the same bit has a different diametrical pitch, hence the different key.

I ran into this when purchasing my used 2436 that included one of the older chucks.. A call to One-way with the situation will get you the new scroll gear and proper key (for a cost).

I opted to change out the scroll gear to avoid the need to hunt the correct key when swapping chucks. I think the parts Shipped were about $80.00.

I don’t know about any changes in the Oneway chuck keys, I do know that my 23 year old Stronghold chuck key that I use all the time works like new, it has 12 teeth on the gear end and all my Talon chucks keys also have 12 teeth, and these are not bought all at the same time

Oneway was founded in 1991, so there is 4 years before I got my Stronghold chuck, and as I said I don’t know of any changes made in the chucks, there could have been, buying used there could be changes made by the previous owner.

The main difference between these keys is the end below the gear end, as you can see clearly in the picture, so my Stronghold key besides being much longer (8”) has this longer and thicker stub, it does not fit deep enough into the Talon chuck to engage the scroll gear.

The Talon chuck will go into the Stronghold chuck and I can rotate the chuck’s scroll gear with it, but as the bottom end of the Talon key is smaller, it will not work properly in the Stronghold, even though the teeth and gear size are the same in both Talon and Stronghold chuck keys, that is in the half dozen keys I have here.

Stronghold & Talon keys.jpg gearends of chuck keys.jpg Gearend chuck teeth.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-20-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I don’t know about any changes in the Oneway chuck keys, I do know that my 23 year old Stronghold chuck key that I use all the time works like new, it has 12 teeth on the gear end and all my Talon chucks keys also have 12 teeth, and these are not bought all at the same time

The main difference between these keys is the end below the gear end, as you can see clearly in the picture, so my Stronghold key besides being much longer (8”) has this longer and thicker stub, it does not fit deep enough into the Talon chuck to engage the scroll gear.

The Talon chuck will go into the Stronghold chuck and I can rotate the chuck’s scroll gear with it, but as the bottom end of the Talon key is smaller, it will not work properly in the Stronghold, even though the teeth and gear size are the same in both Talon and Stronghold chuck keys, that is in the half dozen keys I have here.

Stronghold & Talon keys.jpg gearends of chuck keys.jpg Gearend chuck teeth.jpg
    I dont know the age of the chuck I was speaking of, but the serial # of the lathe it came with is in the low 100's and I assume it was made in the first or possibly second year 2436 lathes were made

It is my understanding that One-way started making wood lathe chucks before making wood lathes, so the change in the diametrical pitch of the gear and pinion could have occurred many many years ago. It is possible that the change was made when the talon Chuck was brought to market to allow the same gear cutters to cut the gearing for both sizes of chuck.

A call to One-way will confirm the change and if wanted get the parts needed to use the 12 tooth pinion and associated scroll gear.

I’ve had the one on the left probably from some time in the early 1990’s. It fits all four Stronghold chucks. The one on the right is fairly new and looks like Leo’s. Notice the short straight gear cogs and hard rubber bumper above the gear. Looks a lot different.
    7F351FF6-F876-4169-92B0-A50E19DAC99B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    I’ve had the one on the left probably from some time in the early 1990’s. It fits all four Stronghold chucks. The one on the right is fairly new and looks like Leo’s. Notice the short straight gear cogs and hard rubber bumper above the gear. Looks a lot different.
    7F351FF6-F876-4169-92B0-A50E19DAC99B.jpg
    Oneway was founded in 1991
    Have fun and take care