Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fold-down cabinet saw outfeed table

Fold-down cabinet saw outfeed table

I have a Shop Fox W1820 (aka Grizzly G0691) cabinet saw that I would like to add a fold-down outfeed table to. Lack of floor space prevents me from using a traditional cabinet-type outfeed table. I have been using a stand-alone roller stand which always seems to be just the wrong distance away from the rear of the saw and always just the wrong height.

The options are to either buy a typical frame-and-rollers commercially made outfeed table such as the one Grizzly sells, or build my own. I'd rather build my own but if the commercially available one is superior, I'd have no issues with buying it. What would you recommend, and if you built your own, how did you do it and how well do you like the results?

I bought one for my Unisaw. I'd rather build furniture, not shop accessories.

Being in a 1 car garage space is a problem and like you, I don't have room for a permanent outfeed table. Anything large like sheet goods means I have to move the TS into the driveway. Here's my solution, it's a torsion box. Though the pic only shows 1, actually have 2 legs for it so I can level it as needed on the uneven driveway. The legs have blind nuts in the bottom with 6" carriage bolts for adjustment and being a torsion box it also doubles as a nice flat assembly table when needed. The joys of working with no space
    Mike

tablesaw.jpg

4. Looks good Mike! Have you ever wished you would've put the router on the left since it's a right tilt saw? I'm debating that on my newly acquired unisaw - I have it on the right with my current left tilt saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Here's my solution, it's a torsion box.
    Mike

Woodworkers Journal Feb 2009 has a build article on a fold down cabinet saw outfeed table. The article is in full on Rocker's website with cutlist.

Also built by some here https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-outfeed-table

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by John Patric; 03-18-2018 at 3:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Aldridge View Post
    Looks good Mike! Have you ever wished you would've put the router on the left since it's a right tilt saw?
    I originally put it on the right hand side because when I built it I stored the TS butted up to a wall on the left which severally limited access to that end. Like I said, I'm in a 1 car garage with machines taking up virtually the entire wall space so there's lots of compromises. For small stuff most of the machines can stay were they're at, but anything of any size means moving machines to the "alfresco shop" as SHMBO calls it. Bottom line though, it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned. It's just "normal" after all these years.

I modeled mine after the project on Jim Becker's website, easy to build and works well. http://sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm

There’s some good info on folding tables in this thread: Flip up TS outfeed table
    My shop built table is in post #5.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-18-2018 at 5:28 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Link isn't working for me, Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Link isn't working for me, Bruce.
    Sorry, fixed it.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I saw your picture, Bruce, and your design looks very interesting. Do you have any notes for how you did your table?

I saw the Rockler article and wondered if that design would be sturdy enough to handle something like an 8 foot slab that I needed to just rip a fuzz from.

@M Toupin,

My shop in in a very convoluted unfinished area of my basement which stretches from one end of the house to the other. That is nice, but it consists of three small rooms and a hallway that are simply "unused" areas of the footprint of the house, the area makes an "L" halfway through, and it contains all of the mechanical equipment in the house except for the upstairs furnace which is in the attic. There are double doors to the outside and a 12'x12' concrete pad outside them, which was really made for the exit door for the basement living room. I use that 12x12 pad quite a bit and often pop the doors open if I have to rip something longer than about 5' on my cabinet saw. I point the outfeed down the hallway and pop open the doors for my infeed.

Just finished this one up yesterday. Simple and cheap, seems to work for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick Decker; 03-18-2018 at 6:44 PM. Reason: Added a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    I saw your picture, Bruce, and your design looks very interesting. Do you have any notes for how you did your table?
    Phil, here’s some pics and screen shots of a couple of my drawings. Sorry, I’m an anal ex-machinist not a draftsman. (that should be obvious..)
    I made this in 2002 and it is still solid.

A few construction notes:
    Sometimes I have an unfair advantage because I have some machine shop equipment in my shop. If nothing else, maybe the drawings can give you a good starting point.
    The legs are made out of 1¼ square steel tubing that I picked up at the borg and machined to the drawing. The foot extensions are aluminum bar stock machined to fit. The slot aligns with the ¼-20UNC tapped hole in the foot extension to keep the extension from falling out.

I think the legs could be made from wood with a little design change.

I bought the melamine sheet that was covered on both sides. I routed shallow dados & pockets about 1/16” deep on the bottom surface and then glued & screwed the walnut frame and oak reinforcement pieces into the dados/pockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy Rooney

I made the one from Woodworkers Journal 2009. I like it because it has no legs to the floor. I have to move my table saw to use it, so it's more convenient for the saw and outfeed table to move together. I'm not sure of the copyright rules, etc. I could put the .pdf file here if the mods can tell me if that is within the rules.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Does anybody have a preference between rollers vs. a solid surface outfeed table?