Thread: Mail in Saw Sharpening Service

Mail in Saw Sharpening Service

Circular saw sharpening.......Its gotten expensive here in Orange County, Calif to have my blades sharpened. Do you know of places in OC that are reasonable or a mail in service? I found familyhardware.com ..have you ever used them?

Blog Entries
    The Freud website has a feature that lets you search for blade sharpening companies by state.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dynamic Saw in NY. I have two blades there right now, $8.50 per blade for a 40 tooth blade. The shipping is actually more than the sharpening, in my case, probably a bit more for you in Calif.

Orren, living outside of San Francisco I know the feeling on everything being expensive. I wanted to second Nicks recommendation on Dynamic Saw. Quick service, reasonable price and super sharp blades. I had a few questions before I sent off a bunch of blades and they were super helpful on the phone and answered all of them. Good luck.

I live close enough to Dynamic to drop my blades off . They have always done a Great job at a very reasonable price .

Thank you. Ill look into Dynamic. What did it cost you for shipping from San Francisco?

I recommend Anderson Saw in Hawthorne, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The Freud website has a feature that lets you search for blade sharpening companies by state.
    Good tip. When checking the only offer 2 shops in all of California. I guess they have to especially certified by Freud.

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    Thank you. Ill look into Dynamic. What did it cost you for shipping from San Francisco?
    The current price of a large flat rate box from the post office. With the flat rate box, your blades will be there in 2-3 business days. Unfortunately Dynamic return ships using UPS, which means over a week to your location.

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    Orren,
    When my local sharpener retired I sent a couple of blades to Dynamic, the result was superior to any previous experience. I now regularly send them my blades and Jointer/Planner knives. Please accept this as the highest recommendation I can give to a business.
    Regards - Bill

They aren't cheap, but they do an excellent job- Ridge Carbide in NJ. Also, their blades are really great, better than some of the more highly advertised brands, one of which is also in NJ. I send a whole bunch in one medium sized flat rate Priority mail box.
    CPeter

Here's a second recommendation for Ridge Carbide in New Jersey. I have tried Freud and Forrest blades and they very good, but are not even close to the Ridge Carbide blades in quality. They do a great job sharpening their own blades and other brands as well. Recently I was looking to make very large mortises and tenons on my Hybrid Pantorouter. I couldn't find a straight cut or spiral 3" long 3/4" cutting diameter plunge-cut router bit (looked for end mills, too)...so I had Ridge Carbide make me one. In about 3 days I got back a huge monster of a bit that works great.

Sharpen your own blades for fraction of time and cost

Order a 400 or 600 grit diamond blade from North Jersey Diamond Wheel co, or similar company. Mount the diamond wheel in your T-saw and sharpen your own carbide blades by making my jig below and honing the inside faces of each tooth. I can do a 60 tooth blade in about a minute and half. I haven't sent blades out to be sharpened since 2002 when I happened upon a few of these diamond wheels, then made the sliding 5/8" DIA centering base that has magnetic hold down onto cast iron T-saw top. You can adjust for any hook angle, as all blades have perpendicular face grind. I even sharpen my negative hook XL4000 blades with it, and get zero bottom tearout on melamines, veneer ply etc.
    sharpening-main.jpgsharpening-clsr.jpgsharpening-tooth.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.