Thread: Saturn CNC upgrade - Y axis spacers

Saturn CNC upgrade - Y axis spacers

There really wasn't a need to do a video but I wanted to and that's about all the reason I need to shoot videos.

The upgrade is to place spacers between the frame and the rack on the Y axis so that the pinion will achieve 100% engagement on the rack. As designed, the pinion had about 75% engagement on the rack because the rack is bolted directly to the frame and that means you can't utilize all of the rack or the pinion would hit the frame (better explained in the video).

Several of us Saturn owners pointed this out to Nate and we discussed options for improvement. What Nate came up with is spacers that simply drop into place. I haven't had time to shut the CNC down but Friday afternoon all was quiet, no orders pending, and I figured this was as good a time as any. Good thing, too, because I got some Etsy orders today! Great!

Anyway, here's the video on installing the spacers -

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

That looks like a very good solution for the issue at hand, David. Not too bad to install, either. Thanks for sharing the video!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David I have been looking at 4x4 machines and this Saturn looks interesting. I have a bid in on a used machine but it may not work out. How do you like your machine and on their website it looks like a welded steel gantry so I am not sure which is which?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The welded steel gantry is the new Saturn 2, Bill. The only thing wrong with our machine is that it isn't a 4x4... no room for a machine that size. It's been great - very rigid, accurate, highly repeatable - basically all the things you'd want for a CNC. The frame arrived in July two years ago and I finished the build a few months later. It's been running great ever since.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

And after I posted I found your build Thread and other posts. It looks like a good alternative. I would order the pre-wired kit with NEMA 34 steppers. I would also build a steel framed stand as I have the saw and welder and time. Might just get by with a good router for start out, but I am spoiled by my spindle on the smaller machine. Thanks for the reply.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10