Thread: Barn Door Hardware

Barn Door Hardware

What brand of Barn Door Hardware do y'all use? The "Real Sliding Hardware" looks nice. Is it worth the money?

When I'm building a barn, Richards-Wilcox is my first choice:

http://www.rwhardware.com/

I've been using Real Sliding Hardware for a few years now and have no issues with the product.

be aware that they carry general lengths of track for generic uses...but you can custom order specific lengths as pertains to your situation/desires

my desire is that when the door is closed it completely/exactly covers the casing (if used) of the cased opening and when open covers exactly the casing of one side...the math for the length of track for this detail is: (door width)x2-casing width

what I end up doing is using a longer track than needed (cheaper) and cutting off both ends equally and drilling new holes on the end that match the factory's location (this is best done with a unibit that terminates in the hole size...regular twist bits last like one track, my unibit is still going). the location of the hole is important as when using the fixed stop and location of hangers on door the door edge lines up with the track end when in fully open or fully closed position. yes, there is an adjustable stop system available but it requires moving the anti-jump block to a location that doesn't interfere with its operation.

they also offer a C-guide that is far easier to install than a T-guide.

there are more things that can be said about all the aspects of barn door systems, but that's a complete essay

I expect the hardware from McMaster Carr is fine. https://www.mcmaster.com/#barn-door-tracks/=1c0tsd0

The doors in my old barn had wheels that run on top of a round pipe, but those seem to have been largely supplanted by the ones that run inside a U shaped track. It's probably better, since crud, bird nests and such can accumulate on top of the pipe making it harder to roll over time. The enclosed rollers wouldn't have that problem. More expensive than a piece of iron pipe though, and with the pipe system you can lift the door off relatively easily.

When I built my organ shed I used barn door hardware, but made the door bifold (the opening is 12 ft tall and 11 wide). That was a much more compact design-- I didn't need to run the door track past the edges of the building, the door fit better so the wind isn't whistling through, and they are easier to open and close than a traditional sliding door.

They work like the ones in this video, but we put the rail on the inside, out of the weather. I don't think it would work so well jammed with ice!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I expect the hardware from McMaster Carr is fine. https://www.mcmaster.com/#barn-door-tracks/=1c0tsd0

The doors in my old barn had wheels that run on top of a round pipe, but those seem to have been largely supplanted by the ones that run inside a U shaped track. It's probably better, since crud, bird nests and such can accumulate on top of the pipe making it harder to roll over time. The enclosed rollers wouldn't have that problem. More expensive than a piece of iron pipe though, and with the pipe system you can lift the door off relatively easily.

When I built my organ shed I used barn door hardware, but made the door bifold (the opening is 12 ft tall and 11 wide). That was a much more compact design-- I didn't need to run the door track past the edges of the building, the door fit better so the wind isn't whistling through, and they are easier to open and close than a traditional sliding door.

They work like the ones in this video, but we put the rail on the inside, out of the weather. I don't think it would work so well jammed with ice!
    those U shaped tracks are very noisy and kind of trashy IMHO...I installed 3 of them in a house once as was VERY unimpressed with their performance

also, be aware, I am making the assumption that the OP is desiring to install inside a house as opposed to on an actual barn

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pyron View Post
    I am making the assumption that the OP is desiring to install inside a house as opposed to on an actual barn
    Yes, I should have been more clear. I am asking about hardware for a sliding interior door.

be aware that this brand of hardware is intended to have blocking behind the sheetrock...if you use a ledgerboard you have the option of very carefully removing sheetrock and adding blocking...

there are other systems where you can get away with just screwing to a ledgerboard if you are using a lightweight door.

https://rusticahardware.com/

I've used them several times and they have a great product, well packaged and easily installed.

https://barndoorshardware.com/

I've also used this company with zero complaints.

Good luck.
    -Lud

Is this for a house or a barn

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Is this for a house or a barn
    For an interior door in my house.