Thread: The Eraser "Trick"

The Eraser "Trick"

I think it is the same idea behind those "magic sticks" to clean up belt sanders: basically something rubber like. Although I use that trick for sand belt I never considered to use it for diamond plates (I received my first diamond plates last week)... it is worth a try, IMO.

Thanks for share.

Many erasers contain very fine abrasives; I think I'd look for one without the abrasives. Apparently, art gum erasers, available online of course and at artists' supply stores, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Many erasers contain very fine abrasives; I think I'd look for one without the abrasives. Apparently, art gum erasers, available online of course and at artists' supply stores, don't.
    I don't know what's in the pink eraser, but I've been doing this for at least two years with no ill effects. I doubt it is abrasive enough to harm a diamond plate if it's made to erase pencil marks on paper. Anything aggressive enough to cause any issues would pretty much trash the paper, I'd guess.
    i use my diamond plates for woodworking tools and working on straight razors. I've not noticed any issues with either damage to the plate or stray particles trashing my edges, so it is working fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I always buy the art gum erasers for this very reason. The regular rubber pink ones can have all sorts of impurities in them - which might not hurt your diamond stone, but they can surely cause damage if you are erasing off pencil marks from boards...

(Head slap!!!!) That's what it's for!

A couple years back DMT replaced a DuoSharp of mine that had rusted and blistered. (No muss. No fuss. Superb customer care.) It took them a few weeks to send another because they were changing the production process. When the new stone arrived, it had a goodie bag containing some cleaner - looked like Barkeepers Friend - a small, soft brass brush and a piece of white rubber that looked and felt just like an artist eraser. I couldn't figure out what it was for and set it aside. Until now.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-18-2018 at 5:49 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use one of the Norton belt cleaning sticks. Cheap, works great, and probably has the equivalent lifespan of about 3000 erasers. Heck I cut mine in three pieces and gave a piece to a couple of friends as they needed them and I could see I'd never use it all in my lifetime. Cutting it was not fun, it's tough stuff. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/nor...9?Ntt=grinding