Thread: Where do you get inspiration?

Where do you get inspiration?

Hey guys, I've been hoping to make some furniture recently.
    I'd like to get away from Ikea, and other formadehyde laden disposable things.

Where do you guys get ideas/inspirations?

I've been using Pinterest and google images for ideas recently.
    If I had the time and money, I'd love to fly to Maloof's house, Nakashima's workshop, etc.
    As a complete newbie, any tips?

The first place I go to is the natural world. All the great designers draw their inspiration from the physical world and I prefer to get my inspiration the same way. If you want the ultimate insight into design, get hold of "The Cabinetmaker's and Upholster's Drawing Book" by Thomas Sheraton. It is in 4 volumes and is downloadable for free as it is out of copyright. Easily the best design guide ever written. Cheers

I tend to look at function. Being more of an engineer at heart, I first try to make it work in the most efficient, simplest and ergonomic way. Then I take up form, with the intention of integrating it with the rest of the things around the house, especially in the same room, considering theme and fit.

I typically make what the wife asks for.
    Surfing the projects portions of WW web sites is also a great source of ideas for MANY skill levels.
    If the wife wants something she saw in a store, a few cell phone pictures and one or two quick dimensions can get the plan and project moving.

So much depends on the styles(s) you are in to, the types of furniture or decoration you want to make, types of wood, colors, etc etc. Almost everything in our house is made from exotics, and I will probably never make or own something from oak. Just too boring. So that limits where I can go look for ideas. We also like modern and clean looks, again, fewer options. I only do natural colors, not stains. And I have a strong ability to picture an idea in my head and start cutting, while the wife has zero ability to picture things at all (Aphantasia). All of these variables are going to be unique to you, and shape your research.

I mostly start with Google images searching if I want to build a specific item and want ideas. The most recent was starting with "leaning wall shelf" in order to make something like below. It was very effective at getting my initial ideas started then I refined the searching from there.

https://www.potterybarn.com/pbimgs/a...ll-shelf-o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I tend to look at function. Being more of an engineer at heart, I first try to make it work in the most efficient, simplest and ergonomic way. Then I take up form, with the intention of integrating it with the rest of the things around the house, especially in the same room, considering theme and fit.
    I'm an engineer all day. When I get in the wood shop, I want to do the opposite...

As a newbie you have some basic limitations to overcome first. Make some simple things to develop skills.

A cutting board will teach you something about making a flat panel.

A stool will get you to think about cross grain gluing.

A couple different types of picture frames will give you some practice with joints.

Make these and throw them away. Move on. Ideas will come faster than skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

Make these and throw them away.
    Well that's probably good advice. I should have started making meaningless things out of cheap wood like oak first off. But I jumped right into real projects with not-cheap wood.

I often look online on sites such as HGTV for inspiration. They have wonderful DIY projects for everyone regardless of your skill level.

Blog Entries
    I make functional pieces that have some use by my wife, my kids or grandkids. I also make pieces for charity and friends from time to time. All the pieces have a definite purpose and place to go when completed.

For starters, replace any "Ikea" items you might have with a similar item that you have made yourself. You will make something at least as good as the "Ikea" stuff and you'll take more pleasure in it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Do you have any styles or periods you like? Mid-Century Modern, Stickley, Federal, Hepplewhite, Arts and Crafts? Once yo have a focus area you can fine tune your source material. I read everything I find on styles that appeal to me. My designs are usually tied to a style but, I tend to take design elements from that style and use them my own way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My clients drive my inspiration. I built a lot of functional pieces we needed around our house , mainly out of Pine. I like Pine , being a New Englander Pine is a staple wood, and really I love working with Pine. I find the stuff with figure , or freckles.

But these days my inspiration is client driven, live edge stuff the past few years has been cool, Spalted Maple , Spalted Alder , Madrone , reclaimed Fir was big for a few years , but our local source closed up shop.

There’s been some good suggestions in the thread if you are new to woodworking , picture frames , replace the IKEA stuff with similar items.

I really like Greene and Greene , BUT I don’t sell much in that style.

The guys that really nail it in woodworking, seems to create their own style.
    Take Greene and Greene for example , the Hall brothers REALLY built the stuff, Peter and John , well and their workers, but most of the credit ends up with Charles Greene as the genius behind the style , even Charles brother Henry , the other Greene takes a back seat in credit rating to Charles.

So start humbly, and learn.

Good luck, it can be a hell of a fun ride!

Once I have the project fleshed out, I also generally go to Pinterest and Google images.

I also have a good selection of books on reproduction furniture. You can pick them up sometimes dirt cheap off used book sites.

There are also good resources like Fine Woodworking. The library of videos, workshops and plans is well worth the membership fee IMO.