Thread: Recommend a Quality rotary tool?

Recommend a Quality rotary tool?

Ok, I am done with the Dremel brand stuff. Just had my third one over the last couple years die. Does anyone make a high quality rotary tool that fits into the various plunge and veneering bases? Looked at the Foredom and it is far better but end up tethered to the flex shaft really limiting router type usage. Thanks.

The NSK Emax EVOlution and Espert 500 micromotors are about as good as it gets, but they will both be tethered to the base with a power cord. They are also fairly expensive. But they are smooooth, powerful, and durable.

For a Dremel-style tool, you might check out the offerings from Proxxon. They seem to be a significant step up in quality from a Dremel.

I don't know if the Proxxon or NSK will work with your plunger and veneering bases, so you would have to look into that.

Paul, what base you are using?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have a StewMac base and a drill press type system. Was thinking of purchasing a Veritas plunge next but then the Dremel died. Never heard of the NSK and will look into that. The Proxxon appears to be a step up.

Ok the NSK is similar to the Foredom and has a connected flex shaft. Guess I am thinking more of the mini router self powered design with a power cord or could be battery I suppose.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 03-17-2018 at 3:17 PM.

Peter, the Proxxon looks like a good up grade. From what I have reviewed they are supposed to be of good quality and in looking at the prices they are not much different in price of a Dremel. Have you check to see if they will work on the Veritas or the StewMac base?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Yes it has the same threaded nose piece so is compatible. Guess it is kind of a standard as all the shaft driven tools offer hand pieces with same threads.

I have never had a rotary tool, Dremel or not, die on me, whether in general use or in inlay work. But you seem to be concerned about it; may be this would help:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...-tools-tested/

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-17-2018 at 6:19 PM.

Simon, thanks for the link for the reviews of the tools, diffidently food for thought.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Problem seems to be the nose bearing or sleeve. When used and applying side pressure it doesn’t take real long for the bearing to get sloppy. This last one couldn’t handle the load of the Dremel flex shaft when using a Dremel grit disk to cut a slot in some counter top veneer. It was a brand new model 4200 and lasted about ten minutes before it started growling and spitting sparks.

http://www.foredom.net/k1050.aspx With the name Foredom, you might think that's a flex drive shaft. It's not. It's a cord going from the transformer to the DC motor. No, I don't own one, but wish I would have a job come up that would need it.

I too am finished buying anything Dremel. The only one I have that won't die is a single speed one that's probably 50 years old. If you buy one of the new ones, keep the receipt.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-18-2018 at 10:03 AM.

I contacted Foredom and the only router type hand piece they offer is the one sold by Stew-Mac. It is a flex shaft driven unit - not the corded motorized unit for the Micromotor power supply. I just think it will be too restrictive in use to use the flex shaft for me. I am basing that on using the flex shaft on my Dremel and on a Proxxon I just tried.

Proxxon has a chuck-style bit holder instead of a collet based holder. This means that you can quickly do bit changes without loosening a collet and then finding an appropriately sized one for your next bit. All bits fit. Doesn't need a wrench either, so no need to hunt for the tiny wrench. Shaped more like a pen which I find easier to balance. The power supply is a brick, but I handle that by putting everything into a shoebox shaped plastic container (power supply, cords, bits).