Thread: Need a new shop vac but hose size is a problem

Blog Entries

Need a new shop vac but hose size is a problem

I have a Ridgid shop vac with a 2" hose that fits my Ridgid sander and Craftsman band saw. I'd like to buy another one but all the Ridgid shop vacs are now either 2 1/2" hoses or 1 7/8" hoses, neither will fit my equipment. I've looked for 2 1/2" to 2" adapters and they don't seem to exist. I don't want to make a permanent connection as I want to be able to move the shop vac from tool to tool.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Hot melt PVC pipe to fit.

Check Youtube, also do Advanced search here.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    Will the 2" hose connection you currently have fit inside the 2-1/2" hose. If the fit is fairly close you can wrap layers of electrical tape around the adapter until it fits snugly inside the 2-1/2" hose end.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not sure this is exactly applicable, but I adapt smaller tool outlets by using a rigid hose adapter and a fernco coupler. The coupler comes in a kit, and the fernco can be found in plumbing. My first application was to connect 2" ABS from my separator to the ridgid hose, then I found the same thing would work on the saw.

IMG_0760.jpg

error.jpg
    Marc, your link doesn't work.

I'd love a good solution to this, I currently have a zoo of hoses and adapters as it seems nothing fits anything anymore. I can't even connect my Bosch sander to my Bosch vacuum without an adapter.

Using Advanced Search here, or Youtube... Search for "pvc adapter" and you will get a wealth of ideas.

Marc

Blog Entries
    I ordered the shop vac from Home Depot, I'm hoping that once I get it I'll be able to figure out how to hook it up.
    Maybe someone should make an adapter which starts at say,3" or 2 1/2 inches and goes down in increments by 1/2" 0r 1/4" to say 1" at its narrowest width. I wonder if I could take a piece of 3" pipe, put a piece of 2 1/2 in it, a piece of 2" in the 2 1/2, a piece of 1 1/2 in the 2" and finally a piece of 1" inside the 1 1/2", glue,caulk and screw it together?
    Dennis

I've tried those "universal" stepped adaptors, from Shop Vac and some other brand. "Universal" is not the term they should be using.

I don't know what to tell you, Dennis. I have a fairly large box of adaptors that I've ordered online or bought in stores, most of which didn't work. The rest are left over from previous machines, etc. Every now and then, one of them happens to work for something else. Kind of like that big coffee can of screws and bolts that everybody keeps around.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    error.jpg
    Marc, your link doesn't work.

I'd love a good solution to this, I currently have a zoo of hoses and adapters as it seems nothing fits anything anymore. I can't even connect my Bosch sander to my Bosch vacuum without an adapter.
    You would think some company would pull their collective heads out of "the dark" and see this as a way to differentiate their product line.

I don't know for a fact that this will solve your problem but would be very surprised if it doesn't:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...2570/100375877