Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Delta DJ30 jointer...any good?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5

    Delta DJ30 jointer...any good?

    I found a Delta DJ30 online in "nearly brand new" condition. They are asking $1850 which seems like a pretty good deal to me. Does anyone have one of these and like/dislike it, or do people have any thoughts on whether this is a good deal? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Courtenay BC Canada
    Posts
    2,717
    You cant get parts for it, but Jointers aren't really tools that wear out much other than bearings. The price is very good... Is it 3 phase or single ?

    I have a 12" Griggio and can tell its a big upgrade from a 6" or 8" .. Also does it have a regular gib style head ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    4,562
    Early ones were made in Brazil, later ones in Taiwan. Take a straight edge and some feeler gauges and check out the tables. If good, you are golden. Few 12" jointers go for less than 2K used, most are over 3K. Good luck. Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    You cant get parts for it, but Jointers aren't really tools that wear out much other than bearings. The price is very good... Is it 3 phase or single ?

    I have a 12" Griggio and can tell its a big upgrade from a 6" or 8" .. Also does it have a regular gib style head ?
    "Like new condition" is literally all the information I have about it. I have 3 phase power in my shop so it shouldn't matter. If it's in good shape I think the only upgrade I'd like to do is add a shelix cutterhead

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    226
    The parts thing always concerns me about delta. Since you have 3 phase power, you should be able to find something bigger and better by looking around.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    4,562
    Any jointer that is better will not have parts availability either or cost more. I'm not a huge Delta fan but their industrial saws, shapers, and jonters were not bad machines and about 5 times better than their hobby stuff. Flat tables are what is most important on any jointer. If the castings are good, there are few parts to worry about and most machine parts can be replaced or duplicated. I've got about 50 old machines and none had part issues that couldn't be dealt with. There are a bunch of jointers I'd prefer, but if the DJ30 is close enough to haul and in good condition, there is nothing new that will touch it at that price. At least the cast iron is seasoned by now. Dave

  7. #7
    As a reference, I paid $2000 for a SAC FS305 about a year and a half ago. It needed a good cleaning, some adjusting, lubrication, and a fresh set of knives. It works exactly how I expect it to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    4,562
    SAC machines are well made and reasonable because they are out of business. The tables are longer than the Delta. Finding stuff close enough to see and haul is the problem. Dave

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Posts
    1,186
    I've got a DJ-32 Delta/Invicta from Brazil. It's a great machine and somewhat similar to the machine you're considering. I put a Byrd head in it last year, and added a feeder a couple of months ago. I'm running it off a VFD and it does an excellent job facing or edging.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 03-17-2018 at 9:33 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    204
    Nice machine but as already mentioned already, flat tables are imperative. I would be reluctant to take one on without checking that. If they aren't flat, then you have a big mess on your hands and an inferior performer. You can always adjust the tables to be coplanar but each has to be flat to get you there.

    Here's one with the Shelix in it. You likely know the Byrd Shelix is just shy of $1000 and you'd also change the bearings as well. Some Byrd distributors sell the head with the bearings included.

    Byrd equipped Delta DJ30

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    SAC machines are well made and reasonable because they are out of business. The tables are longer than the Delta. Finding stuff close enough to see and haul is the problem. Dave
    The rebadged powermatic ones are plentiful. I see them for sale frequently. But not necessarily near by.

    I snatched mine up in your backyard in Eau Claire. Off of Craigslist, which I thought was weird.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    4,562
    The rebadged PM seem to be a good deal. I don't think people know they were SAC and think they were Taiwan. I wouldn't spend for a Byrd on a jointer but if so it would likely be a Hermance instead. Dave

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Nice machine but as already mentioned already, flat tables are imperative. I would be reluctant to take one on without checking that. If they aren't flat, then you have a big mess on your hands and an inferior performer. You can always adjust the tables to be coplanar but each has to be flat to get you there.

    Here's one with the Shelix in it. You likely know the Byrd Shelix is just shy of $1000 and you'd also change the bearings as well. Some Byrd distributors sell the head with the bearings included.

    Byrd equipped Delta DJ30
    It takes a whole lot of lumber or abuse to rut a table.
    Even at that, grinding is not that expensive.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for all of the input! I also came across a 16" Porter Jointer much closer to home (literally about 5 miles from my shop). Any thoughts on this? https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d...527632922.html

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,614
    The Porter is a great machine. If you have the room I’d take it over the Delta anyday.
    Don

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •