Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just don't get it II

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    i agree that sharp is how each person perceives it. I'm asking about hollow grinding here and when or if to use it. I think that using a chisel as a glue scraper or a paint can opener is a whole different subject. I have glue scrapers and paint can openers and don't use them as chisels
    Jim

PS I did recently read that Paul Sellers advocates the use of paint can openers to clean out the bottom of mortises
    Oh man, a sharpening thread AND a Paul Sellers reference...
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

i agree that sharp is how each person perceives it. I'm asking about hollow grinding here and when or if to use it. I think that using a chisel as a glue scraper or a paint can opener is a whole different subject. I have glue scrapers and paint can openers and don't use them as chisels
    Jim

PS I did recently read that Paul Sellers advocates the use of paint can openers to clean out the bottom of mortises
    Advocates? Or maybe just mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Advocates? Or maybe just mentioned it.
    Was not hard to find:

https://paulsellers.com/2017/02/pain...tise-clearout/

A sloppy mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Was not hard to find:

A sloppy mortise.
    Thanks Warren. Jim, sorry I doubted your previous posting. Its an absolutely brilliant adaptation of a tool.

Chris In reading your post I have a question. Do you go back to restore a hollow grind or if the edge remains in good condition do you just maintain as a flat bevel?
    Jim
    The narrow bevel gets touched up, takes very little time, literally under a minute.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Was not hard to find:

A sloppy mortise.
    Isn't it a bit surprising Mr. Sellers has never heard of a swan neck, lock mortise chisel or the Japanese Sokozarai (?)

If one reads the comments he does address a question about this:

Not too useful for smaller holes but great for cutting deeper in door mortises. Also cost and size, they don’t do what the can levers do, but thanks for the suggestion.
    If one wants to save a little money, why not just bend and shape a piece of scrap metal to ladle out the chips?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Was not hard to find:

A sloppy mortise.
    From the looks of the sidewalls he used an Aldi chisel sharpened with 220 grit paper to cut that mess lol

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Oh man, a sharpening thread AND a Paul Sellers reference...
    Only two other elements are missing to create a nuclear forum reaction:

SawStop & Shop Safety

Simon

From the looks of the sidewalls he used an Aldi chisel sharpened with 220 grit paper to cut that mess lol
    Someone offered this explanation ("defense?")

"This is a demonstration mortise — he didn’t make any layout lines and the walls are unequal in thickness, also. Clearly it was created just for teaching. The right edge is bruised to show you what could happen."

If that really was the case, Paul really needed to add a disclaimer like "Do as I say, not as I do!"

But why? If you were demonstrating something as a teacher, why did a half-baked job, regardless of whether you were using a mortise chisel or a bench chisel as a mortise chisel?

I forgot which episode in which Roy Underhill made a similar mistake with smear of blood on his hand or work due to a chisel (plane?) cut (and he was not lecturing about hand tool safety!).

Simon

I forgot which episode in which Roy Underhill made a similar mistake with smear of blood on his hand or work due to a chisel (plane?) cut (and he was not lecturing about hand tool safety!).
    Simon; Roy was born in the USA. Paul Sellers was born in the U.K. There lies your difference in critique from this forum site.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Simon; Roy was born in the USA. Paul Sellers was born in the U.K. There lies your difference in critique from this forum site.
    An interesting observation......cue the torrent of rebuttal about to happen.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

That’s baseless and argumentative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    An interesting observation......cue the torrent of rebuttal about to happen.

That’s baseless and argumentative.
    Sometimes attempts at starting conflicts are best left to fade on their own.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If not done for the initial grind or major repair, I think a lot of people do it because it's an easy way to avoid removing a bunch of steel. Steel that doesn't touch honing media because of the the hollow. People are lazy and want "quick".

I prefer a flat bevel or as flat as I can get free hand. If I get something horribly convexed over time I may go to the grinder to remove the "hump" and then finish on coarse stones to get my flat bevel back.

Hollow grind as a general sharpening technique bears no attraction for me. I only do it because I own a Tormek. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought the Sorby Pro-Edge for whipping things into shape. As it stands now I understand Tormek have a diamond wheel out that has diamond on the side you can use to get a flat grind. I may go that direction if I ever wear out my current wheel which at the rate of about 4 uses a year is going to take quite some time.

Quicker than stones if the grinder is set up and ready to go. Two dropped chisels this week...one student and one 'in a hurry' assistant...both chipped corners, but the CBN wheel made quick work of it. Don't see a reason to rush if it's a hobby, but pros have to worry about overhead in terms of both time and money. We have an SG wheel on one of the grinders, but seldom used.
    Last edited by Todd Stock; 03-18-2018 at 8:11 PM.