Thread: Speeds and Feeds for Router Calculator App for IPhone / IPad

Question Speeds and Feeds for Router Calculator App for IPhone / IPad

The title says it all except I do not expect a professional program or app for free but some are getting $100 plus subscription rate per year. Out of my comfort zone and price range. Suggestions?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Vortex has an app on the Google Play store..

Thanks Mark it works ok.

Keep in mind that the speeds/feeds from the cutter manufacturer may very well not be ideal for your particular machine and spindle...many of them are "out of the box" fine if you have a high-end machine, but may be way too ambitious for smaller, less stout machines and spindles. One of the things that Gary discussed in the training I've just completed involved chip load calculations that are more targeted toward the actual work and machine environment. The optimal feed and RPM points for a given machine are not likely going to match what the bit manufacturers publish in most cases for many of us.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The optimal feed and RPM points for a given machine are not likely going to match what the bit manufacturers publish in most cases for many of us.
    Absolutely. They are just giving you a reasonable starting point. Your ears and eyes tell you a lot with regards to where you really should be. Vibration, noise frequency, etc. go a long way for knowing whether you can go up a ways or should back off a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Absolutely. They are just giving you a reasonable starting point. Your ears and eyes tell you a lot with regards to where you really should be. Vibration, noise frequency, etc. go a long way for knowing whether you can go up a ways or should back off a ways.
    To paraphrase one of Gary's comments on the subject..."You want cornflakes. If the bit is flinging cornflakes and the cut quality is good, you have the rates set about right." IE, you want well defined chips spewing forth from the cut for best quality and longest cutter life. (reduced heat contributes to the latter)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Absolutely. No different than milling metal. A well formed chip is carrying away heat and your not grinding your tool to death running too slow making powder instead of chips. I frequently check the temp of the chips, material, and tool.

I get this a lot in the shop when people come in and we are ripping with the feeder or running high feed rates on the shaper. People think you push a board through the saw very slow for a good cut when your just roasting your blades. Higher feed rates, bigger chips, tooling runs cooler and lasts longer.

On my machine I'm often shocked at how low an rpm you can run at such a high feed. For instance we just ran a Tafisa melamine job. 3/8 compression, 15krpm, 550ipm. I had someone tell me I could have even gone lower for a bit more chipload but seemed like i was in the sweet spot. I rarely ever get much above 16k in wood, ply, or melamine which shocks me. Running hard maple today our chips were huge fluffy flakes. It's fun to learn.

Thank you William

Does anybody use the cnccookbook calculator app? Curious of what they think.

About six months ago I cranked my rpm down to 10K (that is as slow as it will go). I usually do feedrates between 150 and 250 IPM.

That said, I have been using Fusion a bit lately and using their strategies. Amazing, much deeper cuts, like full depth, slower feed rates but much shorter cycle times.

Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    About six months ago I cranked my rpm down to 10K (that is as slow as it will go). I usually do feedrates between 150 and 250 IPM.

That said, I have been using Fusion a bit lately and using their strategies. Amazing, much deeper cuts, like full depth, slower feed rates but much shorter cycle times.
    My question, is that the thing today is fast speeds and fast feed rate to get Wheaties sized chips? If I am understanding correctly.
    But what about depth of cut?

Bill...
    Yes, that is the quest today, and has been for a long time. That said, it is unlikely that an operator can ever achieve those chiploads if he has:
    A desktop machine
    Most tabletop machines
    A handheld router as a cutting head
    A spindle under 3 hp

It takes a pretty rigid frame and some horsepower to develop a chipload great enough to toss "cornflakes". For most users of smaller machines I instruct them to increase feeds and decrease rpms as much as possible without decreasing edge quality. A small machine frame can only withstand so much.

Cut depth is a product of the machines rigidity along with horsepower. With large enough horsepower most bits 1/4" and larger will cut 2-3 times their diameter per pass.

Below: .020 chipload using .25 single O flute in Sapele

Chipload.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 06-06-2018 at 6:52 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC