Thread: General Finishes Question

General Finishes Question

I am replacing my balcony handrails and have decided a more durable topcoat is needed. The handrails currently have 5 coats of flake shellac on them and one coat of GF "High Performance Water Based Topcoat". I was thinking of finishing with 2 to 3 coats of GF "Enduro-Var Water Based Urethane Topcoat"
    Does anyone see a problem doing this? I ask because the GF website states the Enduro-Var adheres well "ONLY over water stains, dye stains, raw wood. Use Enduro-Var over any other surface at your own risk."

I assume it should be OK over the 1st coat of the GF High Performance Water Based Topcoat....any experience that is contrary to my assumption? Thank you
    Cary Wheeler
    Windsor Ontario Canada
    "Honest honey! That isn't a new tool you're looking at. That was my grandfathers. Yes, they had yellow Dewalt tools back in the 30's"

Cary, I would not put EnduroVar over HP Poly. EnduroVar is a great product, but it doesn't play nice over, or under, many other finishes. HP Poly is pretty good stuff as long as it's not exposed to ammonia or strong solvents, so I would stick with that. But if you really want a more durable finish, make up a test sample with everything you've done so far and put the EnduroVar on that. Wait a week and then do an adhesion test. If it passes, chances are all will be OK.

Now for the potentially bad news. 5 coats of shellac is a lot unless they were something like a 1lb cut. Shellac can have problems with cracking down the road if it's put on too thick. I hope you were aware of that and used very light coats. As often is said in the finishing section, the thinnest coat of shellac that forms a complete film is the right amount.
    John

Thanks John. And yes they were 1lb cuts of shellac. I appreciate your incite on the two GF products

John, stop inciting things around here! We much prefer your insights.

Sorry, had to!

Haha. I thought that word looked wrong as I typed it

I think you will be better off with HP Poly. I've never tried EnduroVar over anything for the reasons you stated.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    I think you will be better off with HP Poly. I've never tried EnduroVar over anything for the reasons you stated.
    Are you referring to General Finishes Poly?

Enduro Clear Poly Quart.JPG
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

When Gary said HP Poly I'm pretty sure he meant this product, not Enduro Clear Poly.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    When Gary said HP Poly I'm pretty sure he meant this product, not Enduro Clear Poly.

John
    Yes Sir! That's what I meant. Sorry for Abbreviating. I haven't used Enduro Clear Poly, at least in a long time. General finishes reformulated the High performance Poly ~3 years ago and as I recall the durability and chemical resistance really bunched up between the different products. As John stated the high Performance Poly is so easy to spray that I like to stick wth it.
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 03-28-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Gary