Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up my new lathe yesterday

I was not so lucky - ordered a G0766 on 1/6 & was told early march ship date, called 3/23 and was told 'May 29... MAYBE' so I cancelled. Now starting the lathe search all over again... sheesh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I was not so lucky - ordered a G0766 on 1/6 & was told early march ship date, called 3/23 and was told 'May 29... MAYBE' so I cancelled. Now starting the lathe search all over again... sheesh.
    Oh, don't let that turn you off on the 0766. None of my business, and I really have no experience with any other full size lathes, but the 0766 is a great machine.
    I"d be really upset with them if it went that bad when I bought mine,too, but......

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    Sorry about your order and delays. But, to me, it was worth the wait. It's the best deal at a great performer. I just finished 6 custom mahogany hand pulls for my custom wall of drawers pantry. 40" long x x 2" diameter stock, and took me a good 2 hours. But the wife and kids are happy.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Nice to start out on the "Beast" with prior experience on a non-roller lathe (i.e., Shopsmith). Great start Scott. Q: Is that an old tool rest? Or did you new come with a nick in the top? (ref. last picture). I filed and snaded to top edge of my cast iron toolrest, then I found some scrap 15" long dowel rod materials at work (being thrown away). A neighbor kindly welded piece to to top, and now it's slick always. Keep making sawdust, and congratulations.
    Mark, it wasn't a nick it is just a chip in the paint. But it was noticeable as I slid over it so I filed it smooth and waxed it. Looking for a couple different rests now. One shorter, and a few different sized bowl rests. I may try your suggestion after I get a spare rest.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Quote Originally Posted by scott ward View Post
    Mark, it wasn't a nick it is just a chip in the paint. But it was noticeable as I slid over it so I filed it smooth and waxed it. Looking for a couple different rests now. One shorter, and a few different sized bowl rests. I may try your suggestion after I get a spare rest.
    My neighbor said it was a bear to weld the dowel rod too the top of cast iron, but it makes a world of difference. JB Weld would work also to affix the harder steel to the top of a cast iron toolrest.

I think that it might be easier to braze or silver solder the drill rod to the cast iron tool rest. Welding cast iron can be tricky and can also result in a weld that can crack. I bought some A2 drill rod to experiment with. I was surprised to find that it is funny annealed. That is, dead soft. After I harden it I'll report my thoughts....

My neighbor did not do a continuous weld, just about 4 or 5 short welds 1/4" long each. He created a groove first with an angle grinder to lay the dowel rod into. He said the dowel blued a bit and may have de-tempered, but if it is softer than the surrounding regions I have not noticed it yet.