Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new lathe yesterday

Picked up my new lathe yesterday

I picked up my new Grizzly G0766 yesterday. Got a bit of a scare, I had it on order since January and have endured multiple changes in delivery date. a couple weeks ago the Estimated shipping date changed from March 23rd to March 9th. Awesome! March 9th came and went. On Tuesday they changed it to the 19th. Ok I can deal with that. Yesterday I checked again on the order page and the estimated ship date was gone. OK so I'm thinking it's ready to be picked up.

I called CS and the first agent tells me she is seeing a May 29th estimated shipping date. My heart sank, since I knew a couple other creekers had confirmed tracking info. I asked if there was someone else that might have better info. She transferred me to someone else, who confirmed that yes May 29th was the new date.

I hung up to consider options. I spoke to my chief counselor, CFO and spiritual guide (wife). Her suggestion was that if I wanted the lathe now, I had one option, spend about $1200 more for the G0799, and she was ok with that!! (I think I will keep her another 35 years!)

So I called CS again to see if they would honor the coupon code I used to buy the G0766. She pulled up my order and proceeded to tell me that her computer is telling her that my lathe in ready to be picked up!! What??!!??

Apparently, when I called earlier they were in the process of checking it in and allocating it. So they had removed the shipping info and were adding the pickup info. What CS saw at that time was the next scheduled delivery date for the next batch.

So, I grabbed the trailer and ran up there. Loaded up and came home with a huge smile on my face!!

40793335892_301699f40b_k.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enjoy! I've been very pleased with mine.

Your shop looks really sweet, with that lathe in it. Frame this picture - it'll never be this neat once you start to turn on the beast. Love it, and make some sweet shavings.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Congrats on your new lathe Scott! Looking forward to seeing the first thing you turn on it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

5. That is one sweet lathe, Scott! Glad you got it in without a cardiac arrest, and emergency treatment needed! I know you will enjoy the stellar performance of the G0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Have fun, that sure do look preddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That is one sweet lathe, Scott! Glad you got it in without a cardiac arrest, and emergency treatment needed! I know you will enjoy the stellar performance of the G0766.

It was touch and go for a couple hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Congrats on your new lathe Scott! Looking forward to seeing the first thing you turn on it!
    After playing with the lathe for a few hours tonight I feel like I have stepped up from a yugo to a F350. This thing is a beast! makes the little HF mini I have been using feel so bad.

So I pulled a small cherry log out of the wood pile. It was pretty wet as it was just cut a week ago. Cut it in half and mounted it on a face plate.

This is what I got.

2018-03-16_10-55-01 by Scott Ward, on Flickr

2018-03-16_10-55-17 by Scott Ward, on Flickr

Rough turned and now sitting in a paper bag with its shavings to dry out for a while.

Also turned a laminated tortilla roller for an Easter present.

2018-03-16_10-55-31 by Scott Ward, on Flickr

Walnut, Maple and Paduak

Quote Originally Posted by scott ward View Post
    After playing with the lathe for a few hours tonight I feel like I have stepped up from a yugo to a F350....

So I pulled a small cherry log out of the wood pile....Also turned a laminated tortilla roller for an Easter present.
    Very nice "test" runs. It's nice to see a new lathe post with new turnings pictures and shavings everywhere! (I've never seen a tortilla roller - is it cylindrical or slightly tapered?)

I felt the same way as you when I went from an old "tube" lathe to a Jet 1642. When I added an even bigger lathe it was a wonderful increment but without the "paradigm shift".

BTW, I like the way you used green tape to lay out the spot. My shop floors, walls, and even ceilings were like that once. I even used other colors to help visualize alternate positions for a few things.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Very nice "test" runs. It's nice to see a new lathe post with new turnings pictures and shavings everywhere! (I've never seen a tortilla roller - is it cylindrical or slightly tapered?)
    BTW, I like the way you used green tape to lay out the spot. My shop floors, walls, and even ceilings were like that once. I even used other colors to help visualize alternate positions for a few things.

JKJ
    John,
    the tortilla roller (palote) is cylindrical. This one is about 1.5 inch diameter and 10 inches long. Tradition says that a father give this to their daughter on their 16th birthday. I missed my daughters 16th birthday by 6 years, so I am playing catch-up.

the green tape helps me visualize. Since I had almost 2 months to plan before this got here I needed a stay out zone so I could figure out if the space worked for me.

Nice to start out on the "Beast" with prior experience on a non-roller lathe (i.e., Shopsmith). Great start Scott. Q: Is that an old tool rest? Or did you new come with a nick in the top? (ref. last picture). I filed and snaded to top edge of my cast iron toolrest, then I found some scrap 15" long dowel rod materials at work (being thrown away). A neighbor kindly welded piece to to top, and now it's slick always. Keep making sawdust, and congratulations.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new 0766. I know the feeling when it's ordered and shipping date isn't real clear. Got mine pretty fast,though. Had it drop shipped to an airport where I picked it up instead of the uncertainty of what they would or would not do delivering it to my house.
    I read somewhere they now come with a 1" tool post. Is that what you got?

You know, you could have had your cake and eaten it,too. Hide the G0766 and order the G0799. Then when it gets there bring your G0766 home and tell her that you spoke with Grizzly and was told you'd have to pay shipping to return it. 2 4 1.
    Just kidding. I love mine, but I just have a HF to compare it to.

Blog Entries
    Just downloaded Grizzly's specifications pdf and sure enough, they are now making the tool post hole in the banjo 1".
    Just curious if that is what you recieved, Scott.

It sure is. I posted in another thread that mine measures out at 1.002 inch.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Congrats on the new lathe!!! Now just look at all the "other stuff" you can buy to go with your new lathe.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.