Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5" Sanding disks- Who and where?

5" Sanding disks- Who and where?

I need to get some more and in the past I've bought from Grizzly and Lowes and a few other places. I have yet to use Mirka or Norton or any of the "better" brands, and was wondering what/where many of you purchase your disks. I have a hook/loop 5" Bosch ROS, 8 hole. I don't need 300 of each grit, just a seasonal hobbyist, but am looking for something possibly better than what I've been using. Thanks.

I usually get Mirka H&L in boxes of 100 on Amazon, sometimes boxes from Klingspor.

I use 2sand.com. Very reasonable and the paper is good.
    Don

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/cate...=5%22+X+8+HOLE

Klingspor sanding discs. Great discs at a great price.

I am a hobbyist too and do only few projects a year. I got three sets of Mirka sanding disks on Ebay (80, 150 and 220 grit). Each box has 50 disks. This was about 2 years ago and I still have more than half of each box. Great quality and long lasting. Better than cheap disks from Harbor Freight or Home Depot (and less expensive in a long run).

Mirka on ebay. Wait a few months and you can get a deal on boxes of 50. I think much of the big box store stuff is made in china and it will not last one minute with power sanding.
    Bil lD.

I recently tried the diablo sandnet I think they are called. they are great last twice as long as sheets and work just as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-5...H10I/301439865

I like the Klingspor gold disks.

I get the Mirka Gold discs, their own USA1 brand isn't bad either.

https://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/

Mirka 5" x 8 hole
    https://www.onlineindustrialsupply.com/58goholodi.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Mirka on ebay. Wait a few months and you can get a deal on boxes of 50. I think much of the big box store stuff is made in china and it will not last one minute with power sanding.
    Bil lD.
    The sanding discs and belts from Home Depot are made by Freud in Switzerland, though they do the shaping in either Slovenia or the USA. Their spindle sander rolls for the Ridgid sander are made in Germany. They are not bad, but at least in the 6" variety, they are not cheap and don't stock all of the grits.

The Stuff in Lowes is Shopsmith branded and made in Korea if I'm not mistaken.

The Klingspor that I mentioned are made in Poland or Germany depending on the disc or belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I use 2sand.com. Very reasonable and the paper is good.
    Do they make their own, or who make the ones they sell?

I just received some 6x48 that I ordered from them but haven't used yet. I'll say that shipping isn't their strong suit as it took a week to get here from 80 miles away. Not a big deal, but just saying.

I also discovered a test from one of the magazines that rated Kingspor stearate the best value, especially for the more abrasive grits. They further suggested Mirka Abranet for the fine grits as those left fewer scratch marks than Klingspor in finer grits. Sorry, can't remember the mag.
    Anyway, thinking about ordering a combo of Klingspor and Mirka. Maybe.

Klingspor is my go to source. Even though I'm a pro, I use their retail store, as it's only 11 miles from the shop.

I’ve bought the majority of mine from Acme tools. You can get an assortment of the Mirka, http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/mirka-23-615-ap , or individual boxes.

Don’t use much of it nowadays since investing in sanders from Festool with their outstanding dust collection.

Clint

I started using Abranet exclusively and haven't looked back. I usually get them off of Amazon and the prices are competitive. Yes, the Abranet disks are a bit more expensive than regular cloth-backed disks, but they last twice as long (at least), collect dust more readily, and are a real joy to use.