Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I make a stopped groove in a dovetail?

Got it. Thank you Derek...excellent explanation and execution as usual. A really attractive solution, especially the bead detail.

Derek - sorry to be dumb, but I'm trying to understand one bit..... How are you getting the top of the drawer bottom to be flush with the top of the beaded slip? (I love that beaded detail, BTW - it's a classy touch!)

I thought of 2 ways to do that.
    1. Use a 1/2" thick bottom and cut a 1/4" rebate that fits in the slip.
    2. Use a 1/4" thick drawer bottom and glue a 1/4" strip to its underside.
    I'll bet there are others - what approach did you use?

Thank you,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Derek,
    I understand that the slips can be used when the sides are to thin to support a groove for the drawer bottom. In the first picture the end of the slip has a little tongue that I assume fits into the groove in the drawer front which is obviously thick enough to have a groove. In the last 3 pictures the slips are mitered and what I would like to ask is how do/did you attach the slips to the sides of the drawer? Are they just held in place with glue or are there small nails/screws to retain there position over time. I'm not challenging just trying to understand the attachment of the slips. Thanks
    Chet

Basic slip making ... just plough a groove:

Saw off the chosen projection, and bead a side (you could bead first, then saw it away) ..

Rebate the drawer/tray bottom (having sized it to fit the sides+rebates-expansion) ...

Glue the slips to the drawer sides - as mentioned earlier, this is a strong joint (long grain to long grain). Chris, the little tenons are simply to position the slip in line with the groove behind the drawer front. In the tray they would not be needed.

Finished drawer, with slips flush with drawer bottom ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Got it! Thanks Derek

Thanks Derek!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”