Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24 x 26 shop build

Thanks Mike, yeah I'm hoping to be up and running by the end of April...if only I had as much space as you!

0410181654.jpg
    Got my roof all done, should be starting on exterior in the next day or so. Going to do a mix of hardie board and rock to match the house. And hopefully my friend is coming to start the electrical.
    Last edited by Scott Buehler; 04-10-2018 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Misspell

Blog Entries
    Looks like you are going to have a nice shop. Enjoy seeing the pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks! I'll get some pics of the inside tomorrow

Scott, are you trying to upload full-resolution photos from your phone? That might be the issue. Most phone's default is to take multi-megapixel images, but SMC realizes that readers will only be seeing much lower resolution, and so limits the size of uploads. Depending on your phone, you may be able to tell it to take reduced-resolution pics. Aim for 100 kilobytes or less. Or if your phone doesn't let you do that directly, use a resizer app to post-process the pics.

Scott, if you are like me, not much got done today. Started off with a good rain fall, which turned to some snow mid-day. Hoping things dry out tomorrow for us both so we can keep working.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Yeah it down poured all day long, I may get some work done today...looks like clear skies so far. Mark where in Northern Utah are you from? Im in Willard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buehler View Post
    Yeah it down poured all day long, I may get some work done today...looks like clear skies so far. Mark where in Northern Utah are you from? Im in Willard.
    I am in Kaysville. And it is dry but cold and with the wind blowing I was only able to work for 30 minutes until my fingers were numb. Stopped and moved inside to work on a door I am building.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

0423181716.jpg
    Made a little progress the last few days.
    0423181716b.jpg

0423181716a.jpg
    A couple shots from the inside. I only have one window besides the few I'm have in the top of the garage door, but at least the view will be nice.
    0423181717.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Buehler View Post
    A couple shots from the inside. I only have one window besides the few I'm have in the top of the garage door, but at least the view will be nice.
    Windows are nice but to me the wall space in a shop is more valuable. My original plan for my 24x62 shop had 6 windows but as I put up the walls I decided to change that to three, and two of those are small and just for a little light, not for gazing.

I enjoy seeing your progress pictures - there's not much more exciting than a new building going up! Are you doing it all yourself? I did everything on mine from moving the dirt to wiring the lights, except for pouring the concrete, setting the trusses and muscling the roof panels. I tell people I built it with my bare hands but I lie, I used tools.

JKJ

John, there's always the option to have both windows and wall space...windows can be mounted high on the wall to provide lots of natural light while not constraining as much continuous wall space in the arm-friendly area up to about 6'.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah John, I'd rather have more wall space, but did want some natural light coming in, between that window and having Windows in the top row of my garage door,,i think it will be plenty. Jim, it did cross my mind if putting Windows up higher, but I think I may try and do storage all the way up...we will see

I have built everything myself and "by hand" except for the foundation and concrete. I do have a friend helping me with electrical, but am trying to do as much as I can with the minimal knowledge I have in electrical, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, there's always the option to have both windows and wall space...windows can be mounted high on the wall to provide lots of natural light while not constraining as much continuous wall space in the arm-friendly area up to about 6'.
    I didn't exercise that option - I use the walls all the way to the ceiling. Maybe I have too much stuff. Nah.

The clock in this picture is almost touching the 9' ceiling. My top shelves are long-reach-grabber-friendly and folding-stool-friendly for larger or heavier things. There is plenty of unnatural daylight-color light. (All the bright overheads are turned off in the photo - I use multiple smaller lights at the lathe to better judge curves and surface quality.)

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg

JKJ