Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody tried out the new Arkansas water stones?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Did you mean to post that to the "personal protective equipment" thread instead? :-)

Blog Entries
    I just want to thank John for making me a stoner again. Thanks to this post, I started longing for an Arkansas stone. I ended up getting a Dan’s Black 12x3” on feeBay. I will be sending John Cox my lawyer’s bill for the divorce that is sure to happen soon after wifey finds out. ;-)

I just want to thank John for making me a stoner again. Thanks to this post, I started longing for an Arkansas stone. I ended up getting a Dan’s Black 12x3” on feeBay. I will be sending John Cox my lawyer’s bill for the divorce that is sure to happen soon after wifey finds out. ;-)
    If you're still married after that Cho10k then this should be no problem whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If you're still married after that Cho10k then this should be no problem whatsoever.
    Haha! It was supposed to be "the last one." I am anxious to try the two side by side. For me it's just fun experimenting and trying new things, but the main reason for this stone is for my machete, and for machetes that people pay me to sharpen. They are hard on water stones. I was also sold on the 12" length.

FYI - it turns out RH Preyda appears to be the inheritor of Halls ProEdge. Unsure on the details but it looks like it was maybe a buy out, if anyone can ferret out the actual details that would be interesting. Some of the marketing overlaps "The Arkansas stone is the only stone on the market that actually polishes as it sharpens" for instance carried over in various forms.

You owe it to yourself my friend after all you went through in the storms there on the USVI... I will not begrudge you a sharpening stone after going 6 months without power....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    FYI - it turns out RH Preyda appears to be the inheritor of Halls ProEdge
    Indeed. The RH in RH Preyda is an acknowledgement to Richard Hall who Preyda purchased the operation from.

Arkansas stones are great, but I don't see them being great when ground up into a powder and made into a waterstone. As such it's an inferior abrasive compared to the garnet in coticule or the ao in "normal" synthetic waterstones.

The thing that makes Arkansas stones great is how the natural ones are constructed that gives them the decent cut, low wear and nice finish. I think making a powder out of them takes away at least tow of those three things.

Team one of these up with a vulcan stone and you've got a losing pair.
    Last edited by Warren West; 03-18-2018 at 6:31 PM.

Haha! It was supposed to be "the last one." I am anxious to try the two side by side. For me it's just fun experimenting and trying new things, but the main reason for this stone is for my machete, and for machetes that people pay me to sharpen. They are hard on water stones. I was also sold on the 12" length.
    Well, that is sort of the fatal flaw with the Cho10K and its ilk - they're far too expensive to waste on mere sharpening.

If you need to convince your spouse that it could be worse then just conspicuously leave your browser open to some high-end purveyor of JNats. Or maybe to fast cars or Tinder.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 03-18-2018 at 6:45 PM.

Yeah - you need a cheap hobby like golf or boats...