Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what inspires you when you need a new project?

Presently, I make things for my kids who are just starting out on their own. My house is pretty full right now for any new furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post

My biggest frustration is that I tend to look for and find interest in designs that are mostly beyond my current capabilities. I either don't possess the right equipment or the experience and skill to tackle some of the work that I like. But therein lies the challenge, and part of the reason I'm into this venture (or possibly the main reason that anyone pursues a hobby)--for the learning.
    Mike, I do the same thing, but what I do now is try to include 1 or 2 new technique on my next project and many that I am comfortable with. Less frustration and cost and I still get to improve my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    My biggest frustration is that I tend to look for and find interest in designs that are mostly beyond my current capabilities. I either don't possess the right equipment or the experience and skill to tackle some of the work that I like. But therein lies the challenge, and part of the reason I'm into this venture (or possibly the main reason that anyone pursues a hobby)--for the learning.
    Ya, I can relate to that. I do try to interest the LOML in cool projects that require new tools. That is always an easier sell when it's for something she would like me to make. As for the stretching of the skills, it's something I enjoy about new projects. I've only made the same piece more than once (I've made 6 craftsman style lamps). Everything else has been a one off. But it was fun making that clock, and I made a boat load of mistakes. So maybe a few more clocks are in the near future. I would like to correct those mistakes - some of which were in the planning, some were just not thinking things thru and some were just oops.

The other thing that limits what I make is that I'm a cheap bastard and try to only use the wood my son-in-law brings me. It's always a surprise what I get and I've found that the wood from him is mostly 1 board = 1 project. Which is a natural for boxes, especially since a lot of the wood is so richly figured. So boxes are on the horizon. And I would like to try a "production run" of something, just to experience the efficiency of it all.

And, yes, a cedar strip canoe............
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I admit, this is getting harder. My house is almost full of pieces yet I continue to read a couple of WW magazines. Most of what I gain from that are methods and not projects. I did jump at a new venture to make two entry doors for my friends new cabin last fall. Currently working on my first set of chairs. Also, make gifts for the extended family who have similar furniture tastes to mine.

As usual, there are several great suggestions above such as seeing photo collections from specific artisans. Although it usually interesting when I look at other's web sites, I do not do that on a regular basis. Time to take it up!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    ...what I do now is try to include 1 or 2 new technique on my next project and many that I am comfortable with. Less frustration and cost and I still get to improve my skills.
    Exactly! Always use and refine what you know already and then always work at expanding that knowledge and capability. It's a never-ending process.

Thanks for the intro to their work, and you are right, there is inspiration there to be had. Especially Mike Pekovitch. Outstanding. I may have to give that instagram stuff a try.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bill,

I have not reached your level yet. Seems like my inspiration comes from the need to come up with a solution to a problem/need rather than a need to find inspiration.

Hope to reach your point in life sometime, but not too many years left at this end (hope I am wrong there!)

Yes, your thread title caught my attention!

Impossible for me to add anything useful...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

If I lived to be 100 I couldn't get every thing done that I dream up. Not to mention the family. I had a part time woodworking business for awhile. I got a lot more done then but enjoyed it less. Now I just do what I feel like and what I have time for. The big thing is to not worry about it. Oh and I like shop improvements to.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of books like (500 tables / 500 chairs / 1000 lamps / etc) that I like to look thru. Instagram can be nice, but looking at my phone or laptop screen is less inspiring for some reason. Honestly, I always have something I want to create! I'm just lucky when someone is willing to pay me beforehand. : )

Blog Entries
    Even if you don't need the money, this is what makes things fun when you sell: you get to build things you otherwise wouldn't get to. I'm building a huge dining table right now. I'm so stoked to make this. I would never need this until I bought a bigger house or something. Now I don't have to wait.

I also focus on my idea first and my capabilities second. In other words, I have absolutely no problem with sub'ing parts of the project. I made that steel / wood railing for a house that I posted earlier. I didn't do hardly any wood work on that. I had a vision, but I didn't have the tools. Anyway, this 'epiphany' helps me make whatever the hell I want. : )

How about this for inspiration: Try to make a project incorporating some these.. I'm really looking forward to working with LED sheets. Ordered a sample today, woot! Also want to work with 'smart glass'.

LED Sheet:
    http://www.evo-lite.com/product-line...d-light-panel/

Smart Glass:
    https://www.glass-apps.com/applicati...-privacy-glass

We are moving and I have committed to building a lot of replacement furniture for the junky stuff we inherited or bought when we were poor. The backlog of projects is at least a year.

I don't have the time to be inspired. The list of things that need to be built will last me 2 lifetimes. It is more like a second job than a hobby.

Raw materials have always been my main inspiration. I've visualized products made out of uncommon combinations of material since I was a kid.
    I made some wood and saddle leather chairs for our house. I had some beautiful leather leftover. I've built all the furniture we need, but I moved the leather around the storage room a few times. I was curious about combining it with figured wood in a tote bag. It happened to coincide with my wife's birthday.
    At first she was unsure if she liked it. Then she got lots of compliments and it made us both happy. That's inspired me to do more leather combined with wood.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford