Thread: We got this horse in yesterday...

We got this horse in yesterday...

Cant figure out how to rotate image. Been looking for a big spoil board cutter but cant swing the Vortex numbers. Pulled the plug on a steal deal on this thing last week and it landed yesterday. What a monster advance. We surface spoil board often (work with a lot of small parts) and do a lot of solid wood slab and glue up flattening. Have been struggling along with a smaller amana cutter (that is going to be up for sale cheap if anyone is interested) and fell on this thing for cheap money. My gosh. Running wide open at 600ipm and 7500rpms this thing leaves a finish that is 150 grit and done. What a major leap forward. I cant fathom running it at 12K rated but wow. Surfacing spoil board is now about 6 minutes and the MDF is dead flat and smooth with barely any visible pattern.

20180315_163418.jpg

You must search a lot of steel milling sites. That is for surfacing steel. I bought some things from Travers Tool company and now I am on their mailing list. I see that in every catalog they send me. You be a frugal character.

Its acutally an Amana 5Z insert cutter. I dont like the price of the inserts from Amana but they are not horrific at 125 bucks (22+each). It came with 12x12 inserts with 45 degree corners (not 12 x 12 sharp). It really did an amazing job today on a bunch of 1" hard maple.

Ahh, I will have to take a look. Do you get better dust collection with this style? I guess you might when I look at it. I have done some slab surfacing and the mess after can be a bit much.

I like my vortex. They make an insert for it that has a small (0.015") rad on the corners and that sure made a difference on the cut quality. I don't know why they sell it with any other style inserts considering the step over most of us use.

Im running the extension on the shoe and have great pickup other than when a side of the shoe is hanging out in mid air or off the end of the machine. Then its a crap shoot unless I stand there with a brush to deflect the chips back under the shoe. I generally try to kick off the program and do something else. Surfacing glue ups I will pick what I think is the high point visually and let it run then after first past I just let it go. Im running this at 7500, 550IPM with a 92% stepover. The cutter below the bevel is a bit of 3.1875 in diameter.

Forgot, 35 thou depth of cut

That's a nice big cutter for a nice big machine! Given your need to frequently resurface your spoilboard, it makes a lot of sense to use a big, insert cutter. (I bought one of the smaller Amana insert cutters for the 4x4 machine I'll soon be using, both for resurfacing and hopefully for doing some slabs, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great Jim,
    I have one of the smaller Amana heads with two flat inserts (surface) and two vertical (knickers/edge cutters) that I have never been able to get anything out of. I hoped to hang on to that one to see if I could make it work.

I'll be interested to see your results. What cutter did you get?

Marc, I'm at training, so I don't recall which cutter, but will look when I get home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10-4 Jim,
    We have a small amana RC-2250 that doesnt seem to work well with our setups I guess. Its a nice little cutter but I have never been able to get clean cuts from it.