Thread: Accessories for Jet 1642EVS

Accessories for Jet 1642EVS

I just picked up a very nice Jet 1642EVS for a very good price. Seems like a very nice lathe. Only 110v but, I think it will be strong enough for anything I ever expect to create.

That said.. I was wondering if there is/are aftermarket parts for this. Specifically, at the moment, I was wondering if, like the newer Powermatic's, there might be a short bed extension and a swing away to get the tailstock out of the way w/o having to continually lift it off. I have no idea at the moment how often that might be.

Also wondering if anyone can point me to home built access they have made for this lathe as ideas. I thought of building a low height "box" to go on top of the headstock to hold miscellaneous items, a "table" to go on the ways for painting or other process where I need to protect the ways.. etc etc.

The new lathes have a bracket that fits on the end of the ways that hold the centers, wrench, knock outs, etc. Not sure how to make one of those.. but it would be nice.

Any other thoughts that I can ruminate over ?
    Last edited by Bill Splaine; 03-16-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Bill, the 1640EVS is the new model and has only been out a year or so, I believe. There are both a swing away and bed extension available from Jet - http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwl-...d-lathe/719500

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    Also wondering if anyone can point me to home built access they have made for this lathe as ideas. I thought of building a low height "box" to go on top of the headstock to hold miscellaneous items, a "table" to go on the ways for painting or other process where I need to protect the ways.. etc etc.
    Bill,

I've been building these for my lathes for a while, this one in 2003 for the Jet 1642. Very simple, some indoor/outdoor carpet on top, some low sides to keep tools from rolling off. I always take one to fit whatever lathe they have at demos too. I can move it behind or in front of the tailstock as needed. When I posted a photo of this on another forum someone immediately redesigned it with magnets to hold it in place - I wouldn't do that. They are not needed - these are very stable the way they are and easy to move.

tool_tray.jpg

I also have an extension table for the Jet 1642 that sort of hooks under that little table for extra space. I don't have a photo.

I've see people make a small table with a rod that fits into the banjo for detail work. I'm making one with threads that fit onto a carving stand I have from Best Wood Tools.

I also have stuck a piece of carpet on top the lathe, useful for lots of things. I've designed a "topper" for my PM 3520b with compartments for various small grits of sandpaper and small other things I use with spindle turning. I'll post a picture when I get it built, hopefully in a few weeks.

Another lath "accessory" I am fond of is this high tech shaving collection device (from Walmart). I keep one under each lathe:

tub_lathe_crop.jpg

Lastly, just for fun, I will share my favorite accessory that will fit any lathe, isn't that incredible?! My sandpaper dispenser for rolls of Klingspor Gold, plus, a spot for a narrow paper towel roll sliced from a normal shop towel roll. (I rarely use more than a small piece of shop towel at the lathe and this saves tearing corners from the big sheets:

lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg lathe_wall_papertowel_IMG_5.jpg

JKJ

My apologies, JK.. it's a 1642evs.. I've made the changes.

Thanks John, as noted in my change.. my lathe is a 1642evs.. not the 1640evs.. blooper. These are good ideas. Unfortunately, I don't have a shop yet.. so the lathe is protected on my back porch.. This means no walls to put things on. However, there is hope.
    I'm wondering if you will take a close up pic of what you did for the tool holder attached to the leg on the tailstock end. No sense in trying to re-invent what someone has already perfected.. grin.

I'll look forward to any other pictures... the topper, the small table you mentioned, and the extension table.. if you would kindly do so.

There are some great ideas on the Mustard group website (powermatic 3520) that can be modified to fit the Jet 1642. For my 2hp Jet 1642 I did remote switch idea from Keith Larret shown under the electrical category.

I also made an outboard turning rest I have used a couple times from this link - http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...tboardRig.html

Ricc

Thanks Ricc Havens. I'm not familiar with the Mustard group.. tried to google.. with no luck.. Can you provide a link? Thanks

OOPS! here is the link for the mustard group (powermatic owners) website
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hVIyVJ4oc/edit

Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    I'm wondering if you will take a close up pic of what you did for the tool holder attached to the leg on the tailstock end. No sense in trying to re-invent what someone has already perfected.. grin.
    I don't think I've ever made a tool holder attached to a lathe leg. I know some people have. I've seen some classrooms with tool racks on the headstock end of each lathe, standardized so all students had the same tools. They were made from plywood with wooden hooks to easily mount and remove. I didn't get any pictures.

I worked on a porch for a year or so back in 1971. I had a radial arm saw and some hand and power tools. I covered the saw when not in use. I had my lathe in 1/2 of a 2 car garage for years. I didn't have a wall to mount things on so I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood and leaned it up against something behind the lathe. I put mounted sandpaper dispenser there along with small shelves and a hooks and screws for variety of lathe tools. When I finally built my new shop I actually carried the plywood with the things mounted and leaned it up against the unfinished wall in the shop until I could get the power done and the wall up. I used it like that for a year.

I'll try to take photos of other things when get a break.

JKJ

A DIY Jet 1642 Swingaway

Bill, here is a couple pics of a swing-away I made for my Jet1642. Not sure how I got a long without it before I made it. I did a detailed post here if you want to see details.

IMG_2976.jpgIMG_2937.jpg
    Last edited by James Combs; 03-17-2018 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Grammer

"The best things in life are not things."

James, what a fantastic idea and execution. Wish I had the talent.. and the 1G to get one.