Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Store Overcharge Policies

I've taken to writing the shelf price on the sticker. I check the scanned price to make sure it matches.

I think that particular S store needs a more vigilant scanning coordinator. Most stores I go to do a very good job. One of the biggest problem is sometimes stores place items in more than one location. They may change the unit price tag in one location but not realize there are other locations.

Blog Entries
    On the left coast grocery stores have sold the item at the shelf price if overcharged via scan or some variation of a discount or free as long as I can remember. Fortunately, LOML has a mind like a steel trap when it comes to shopping. I don't have to worry about anything getting by her. I also have become detached from what food items and staples cost. I just hold it up and say "88 cents, is that a good price?" and take her response as gospel. Seriously, I have seen her explain to store managers, and even corporate via the phone while in line, exactly why the coupon or special should be processed such and such a way. Its like watching Morisa Tomei's character talk about cars in 'My Cousin Vinny'. Makes ya proud.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-16-2018 at 8:24 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Take pictures of the shelf prices with your phone, arrange items on the belt in the same order and swipe through the pics at checkout.

I pay attention to every price at the grocery store. That helps to determine when to buy in bulk to save a bit or when a deal is really a deal.

Stores are tricky almost always a gal of milk is cheaper 2 half gal but every once in a while 2 half gal will be cheaper gotta watch them LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe the policy at Cub Foods stores is you get the first item free if the shelf price is wrong. I think it was Rainbow Foods here that was using electronic LCD shelf tags to avoid the hassle of changing shelf tags. Rainbow Foods went out of business in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I believe the policy at Cub Foods stores is you get the first item free if the shelf price is wrong. I think it was Rainbow Foods here that was using electronic LCD shelf tags to avoid the hassle of changing shelf tags. Rainbow Foods went out of business in 2014.
    What I don't like is the trend in some stores to have NO shelf tags. I've seen this in a places that cater to trade pros (why would the worker sent after supplies care about how much they cost?) and most recently in an auto parts store with dozens of interesting items in racks on pallets near the counter. "How much is this?" "Bring it here and I'll scan it for you."

I realize this saves the store a lot of effort. It also saves them the bother of ringing up impulse purchases.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    On the left coast grocery stores have sold the item at the shelf price if overcharged via scan or some variation of a discount or free as long as I can remember. Fortunately, LOML has a mind like a steel trap when it comes to shopping. I don't have to worry about anything getting by her. I also have become detached from what food items and staples cost. I just hold it up and say "88 cents, is that a good price?" and take her response as gospel. Seriously, I have seen her explain to store managers, and even corporate via the phone while in line, exactly why the coupon or special should be processed such and such a way. Its like watching Morisa Tomei's character talk about cars in 'My Cousin Vinny'. Makes ya proud.
    Luv the reference!

Back in my grocery store employee days we had to change the stamped price on the cans before stamping with the new price. The replace the shelf tags and program n the price changes was supposed to be an easier and less error prone method but it hasn't lived up to its promise yet.

When I get something off the shelf that I think may be a price issue I use my cell phone to take a picture of the item and the shelf price tag.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Doing a running total is easy. Remembering that lettuce is $1.29 and spinach is $1.37 is not. I asked a couple people, because I'm curious, and nobody thinks they could remember more than maybe ten item prices. I'm fascinated by the ability to memorize what I assume is several dozen items (a normal shopping trip for me).
    It may be my mind is good at number memory. Another trick to help in memory is almost all grocery store items pricing ends in a 9. The outliers stand out. Also many canned goods have the same price as similar canned goods. The regular price on many Fred Meyer house brand canned vegetables is 89¢. Another trick is to mentally note price progression of items from to cheapest to most expensive.

Another person mentioned milk prices. One of the major grocers here used to alternate between 99¢ a half gallon and $1.89 a half gallon every other week. They recently changed up the pricing on milk. Recently the gallon price was $1.79 and the half gallon price was $1.89. Some people are set in their ways and will not buy the less expensive gallon instead of a half gallon just as some folks will not buy two 99¢ half gallons as opposed to a $2.98 gallon. One guy when questioned told me his kids drink it faster if it is in half gallons. ?????

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    Back in my grocery store employee days we had to change the stamped price on the cans before stamping with the new price. The replace the shelf tags and program n the price changes was supposed to be an easier and less error prone method but it hasn't lived up to its promise yet.
    I think the real labor savings is in not having to price every single item. A single shelf tag can be the price for up to 20 or 30 items.

In Michigan, the law says they need to issue a refund of the difference plus 10x the difference not less than $1 and not more than $5 if the error is caught after the sale is complete. Before they can just change the price.

The midwest chain of superstores who's name is spelled very similar to mine is infamous for not putting sale ad pricing into the POS system. For a long time my mom shopped there and my dad would check her receipt against the ad and find at least one mispriced item every single week averaging overcharges of a few dollars a week on average. My uncle 2 states away started doing the same and sure enough, same thing down there so it wasn't a local issue.